SCRIPTED PRIM

ChloeBaby Xue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Should I be concerned if I received a gift prim from a person I just met? He seems nice, but I still have my guards up. When he gave it to me, he told me to rez it,  it's a photo with changing scenes, when I took it back, I noticed he had another behind it. I didn't think much of it then, but after thinking about it, I couldn't figure out why he had to rezz one from his inventory too. Then I began to think perhaps he created some type of way to compromise my computer, although I hope not. 

If this is some suspicious act please tell me so, and is there a way I can have this prim looked at by an expert who can tell  if it is what I think it is.

Thanks

Chloe

2 answers to this question

Scripts within Second Life have absolutely no way to reach into your computer in any capacity. They run exclusively on Linden Lab's servers and you can only observe the changes they cause in the simulator. (Source: I'm an experienced scripter.)

The absolute worst thing a script could do is disrupt your movement (like throw you around the sim), or listen to nearby messages in your local chat and transmit those to someone else. Both of these are bannable offenses (harassment/disclosure rules), so it would be pretty unlikely that you ran into someone trying to do this to you.

It could easily be that he rezzed it as well to show you what it was (in case you didn't want to rez it). You are very safe in Second Life, so you don't have to assume the worst from other people. Nobody here can permanently break your avatar or touch your computer at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wulfie's advice is pretty good.  Just as in Real Life™, most people are at least as nice as you are, so you are probably safe.  It does pay to be cautious, or course.  Remember what your mother always told you:  keep your eyes open, don't accept candy from strangers, don't tell people things that they have no business knowing (like your real name and address), and then be prepared to bend those rules as you need to.  You are responsible for your interactions with other SL residents, so set the rules for yourself at whatever level you feel most comfortable.

There's one class of scripted objects that you really do need to be careful of, however.  That's objects that ask for permission to debit your account.  Don't ever give permission unless you know exactly who is asking and why they want permission.  PERMISSION_DEBIT is important in vendors and tip jars -- objects that need to be able to make change or offer a refund -- but unless you own a vendor or tip jar, you shouldn't normally have to deal with it.  Any script that asks for that permission will always pop open a yellow box to ask you.  If you weren't expecting it, just click NO and delete the item.  It can only hurt you --- by draining your account --- if it's rezzed and if you give it permission.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.