Crash after crash

dalocogamer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My SL client keeps crashing on me when I am at a sertin area. I had to hard boot my computer 3 times before I could get out. I try End Task with Ctrl + Alt + Del but it just sits there nothing happening.  

I am running Windows 7 and really not having any other issues with any other games. Its just SL that keeps crashing making me have to hard boot. 

It may be something in that region that is the problem. To be able to log into a different region you need to look in Preferences -> General and check Show Location at Login. Then you can type in a new location. Pooley is a Linden owned region with very little in it, so it is a good palce to sort out problems.

It is also helpful to tell people which computer and viewer you are using. You can click Help -> About and copy paste the information into your rquest for help.

A common problem is a corrupt cache. Something you downloaded may be causing the problem. In Preferences -> Setup there is a RESET button. Click it and close the viewer then restart it. You do not have to login to clear your cache. 

Many other problems are caused by an out of date video driver. Be sure you have the latest update for your video card, unless you are using ATI. Then search the forum for more info on ATI drivers. For some cards an older driver is needed to use Second Life.

If you are using the main production viewer for Second Life, you may want to switch to the Beta version as it has more fixes and that could solve your problem. 

If you use multiple viewers, the install order and shared caches could be a problem. For solutions to those issues and instructions on how to do a reinstall see: Second Life Clean Install - I wrote this blog post to include information on using and reinstalling multiple viewers. It works even if you just use one viewer.

I am still crashing on SL. I have tried two other viewers and still crash. I cleared my cache and even took down other computers and consoles on my home network. Its getting to the point where I am concern about damaging my computer. I have to turn it off with the power button and end up rebooting in safe mood.

• 1 month later...

if it's in a certain region, then it's likely that one of the recent viewer crashers is in use there, currently the most recent singularity and firestorm beta2 are patched against this, and without looking, Cool VL's latest version is probably patched as well (Henri is pretty quick to patch those).

suggestion is to either use one of those viewers or avoid the region having problems until the patch is applied to the viewer you use

• 7 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.