Valid Characters in Script Names

Wandering Soulstar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My first thought would have been to look at the limits page - but it doesn't appear to have this information listed.

Failing that, I looked up llSetObjectName to see if it had any restriction - and it does. Specifically:

Names can only consist of the 95 printable characters found in the ASCII-7 (non-extended) character set, with the exception of the vertical bar/pipe ("|") character.

• Non-ASCII characters will be replaced with two question marks ("??").

Now although this is in relation to object names, I'm making an assumption that scripts might share similar restrictions - since both objects and scripts can be referenced in similar ways via object inventory. I am not able to get inworld to verify right now, but if anyone could do that, I'd appreciate it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fenix Eldritch said:

I am not able to get inworld to verify right now, but if anyone could do that, I'd appreciate it.

Tested it now and yes, you are correct.

If you try to manually use any character not in ASCII-7 on a script name the viewer makes it's error clunk/beep.

Even simple EU characters like ü,ö,ë,ç,ñ are not allowed.

Edited by Shudo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fenix Eldritch said:

My first thought would have been to look at the limits page - but it doesn't appear to have this information listed.

Failing that, I looked up llSetObjectName to see if it had any restriction - and it does. Specifically:

Now although this is in relation to object names, I'm making an assumption that scripts might share similar restrictions - since both objects and scripts can be referenced in similar ways via object inventory. I am not able to get inworld to verify right now, but if anyone could do that, I'd appreciate it.

The DEL character(U+007f) can be set but only via script.

12 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

The DEL character(U+007f) can be set but only via script.

Interesting! I tried to do this with llSetObjectName and a string that would contain the character, but I'm not sure if I am doing it right...

Does the sequence ALT + 127 produce the actual DEL character? All I get is a little house symbol ( ⌂ ) which in the resulting object name becomes ?? as outlined by the wiki caveats. But that's the same as with other characters - should I be expecting a different outcome specifically for the DEL character? Or did I misunderstand you?

2 minutes ago, Fenix Eldritch said:

Interesting! I tried to do this with llSetObjectName and a string that would contain the character, but I'm not sure if I am doing it right...

Does the sequence ALT + 127 produce the actual DEL character? All I get is a little house symbol ( ⌂ ) which in the resulting object name becomes ?? as outlined by the wiki caveats. But that's the same as with other characters - should I be expecting a different outcome specifically for the DEL character? Or did I misunderstand you?

I thought 'DEL' was an LL usage only.

On 3/15/2019 at 7:31 AM, Fenix Eldritch said:

llSetObjectName(llUnescapeURL("%7f"));

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.