Firestorm Download Did Not Install..Why?

SierraStyles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have been waiting for the new format/update in Firestorm, and I did the backup, download, install, restore and then restarted the computer as directed. I thought every thing was fine until I kept getting my old download issues-the not responding, the *endlessly* spinning blue circle-and after a few times, it just kept going, even in my regular browser. And I finally saw that I was *still* in the previous update, in spite of a supposedly flawless download.. I seriously hope this can be straightened out, I need the new update

Edited by SierraStyles
mispelled words

2 answers to this question

A number of things might have happened.

If your Downloads folder looks anything like mine, there are several previous versions of various viewers in it.  You might have opened and installed the wrong one.

What does your browser do with downloaded files?  Do you have it set to "open when download is complete"?  If so...did it?

Simply downloading a file does not (necessarily) mean that a new application will be automatically installed.  You need to OPEN the downloaded file (if it doesn't open automatically), and go through the usual process of accepting the license agreement, selecting the installation options, etc.

If you specify a new location for the installation, it won't install over the old version.  If you did that, then your desktop shortcut probably points to the old installation.  Check it by right clicking and select "Target".  If you install to the default location, the new version will over-write your older version, which is generally the behavior you want.

NOTE:  at the end of the installation process, the installer will ask, "Start Firestorm now?"  Don't say Yes.  Say No, close the installer, and then start Firestorm from the desktop shortcut.

The icons that pin to the taskbar at the bottom are often a problem. The Linen's SL Viewer is changing so they work better. But, if you use RC versions they can still cause you problems. So... you may want to unpin any icons from the taskbar before you install. Or unpin and reinstall over the top of the existing install. That should straighten out any launch icon problems.

When you say "restore" I think we are assuming you mean your settings restore. I never have to do that. I just install and it all works.

It makes me nervous to see backup and restore in the same sentence. If it is just backup and restore of the settings, no problem. If you were backing up the entire install... you would want to avoid a restore.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.