Emote avatar

SusanPoora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1981 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My understanding of emoting (from role play classes I've taken) is that emoting is a specific way of entering text and of using tense.  Emotes are written in present tense, i.e., describing what is happening or being said right now.  The way that the text is entered in the chat window inworld is to start the line with /me. 

For example, if I entered the following text in the viewer chat bar:

/me grabs a cup of coffee and takes a sip before speaking. "Well, a brief explanation ..."

will be displayed as:

moirakathleen grabs a cup of coffee and takes a sip before speaking.  "Well, a brief explanation... "

Another example:

/me's coffee spills.

will be displayed as:

moirakathleen's coffee spills.

It's not a huge change or distinction, but I think that in role play at least, the use of the emoting convention makes the dialog and action descriptions read more like a story than a series of chat lines. 

• Like 4

Moirakathleen has described chat emotes very well!  There are other ways to express emotion as well. 

There are facial expressions.  The classic avatar has about a dozen facial morphs, and some animations make use of them.  There are also some emote HUDS that let you activate them. 

Bento mesh heads are capable of making very realistic expressions.  Many of them come with controls that let you use these. 

And there are gestures.  Gestures can combine sounds, animation, and chat text to express your feelings. 

My go-to means of expression is the chat emote, though.  It's always handy, and can be used to express your feelings and actions accurately and completely. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1981 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.