New Video Card - Now Seeing LookAt Targets everywhere!

Jolene Merlin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So I just replaced my aging GTX 770 4GB video card, with a newer RX 580 8GB one.

Went through the whole process of wiping out all the old drivers, etc.... everything is working fine.

Except SL!

Now I am seeing peoples LookAt targets, literally... everywhere... though not everyones, just, a lot of them...

Thing is, I am seeing them through walls, through terrain even... from like 2 - 3 regions away!

Someone is just sitting idle in their house, and not camming anything or anywhere... and yet I can see their Look At target!

Nothing else has changed for me, except the video card and its drivers.

Sure, I know I can resolve this instantly by going into my Preference, under the Privacy tab, and uncheck "show look at targets" ....

But thats not the point here... the point here being that I shouldn't have to do that!  I shouldn't BE seeing someone's look at target, while they're sitting/standing idle in another region from me, and their little target cross hair is doing nothing other then floating in front of their face... and yet I can see it through every single obstacle between me and them?!?!

• Sad 1

6 answers to this question

You switched from an Nvidia card to an AMD card.

It's probably this issue: BUG-8878 - Text,Selections,Nametages,etc floating over stuff with Advanced Lighting on

It's a bug with AMD graphics drivers that hasn't been fixed & happens with any AMD driver newer then Catalyst 14.4.
Unfortunately I think this bug can only be fixed by AMD.

• Like 3

Thank you for that answer Whirley.

It is pretty much what I expected... that, and the likely fact that the Linden's probably don't even know how/what to tell AMD about it, and that AMD likely wouldn't even care to listen to them cause SL is such a small platform to be concerned about issuing 1 small fix for...  ¬¬

• Thanks 1

I just checked that JIRA issue again, or rather the original report of it at https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-7947
It does seem that Singularity have a fix for it, so it appears it can be worked around at the viewer end.

The Singularity fix: https://github.com/singularity-viewer/SingularityViewer/commit/583ea76c85049a38946d071e82ca3847c57463ed

I know the Firestorm devs looked into porting that fix over to Firestorm a while ago & it was decided not to add it.  I forget the reason now but it caused some other bug which was deemed to be worse then the original.
In fairness, Singularity do label that fix as "experimental".

Edited by Whirly Fizzle

38 minutes ago, Jolene Merlin said:

and that AMD likely wouldn't even care to listen to them cause SL is such a small platform to be concerned about issuing 1 small fix for...  ¬¬

It's worth filing a bug report with AMD to be honest.  I'm not sure if anyone has even done that yet.
I can't file it as both my systems have Nvidia cards.
I've had success in the past by filing bug reports with Nvidia though, when a driver update has barfed something on SL viewers and they have fixed it!

For example, in http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/378.66/378.66-win10-win8-win7-desktop-release-notes.pdf
Nvidia fixed the bug BUG-41294 - World view tinted blue when ALM is disabled after update to Nvidia driver 378.49 on any 64bit viewer

It was nice to see Second Life listed in the Nvidia release notes  :D

Edited by Whirly Fizzle

20 hours ago, Jolene Merlin said:

I'll check out Singularity...

Looks like they just issued an updated viewer sometime last year, I didn't even realize it as I still have their previous version from like 2015 or so that didnt support mesh objects! lol

Singularity seems to make one main release per year. But, they have more frequent Alpha updates. I think most Singularity users run on the alphas most of time as only the Alpha version has Bento support.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.