Seeking SL home for First Life Radio Show

Female Winslet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2052 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a first life Internet radio show called Lia Listens on Fridays from 4-6 pm SLT. I would love to simulcast it in SL. The show is musically eclectic and features live on air call-ins from listeners. Broadcast licenses are provided by the station. Ideally, I'd like to do it at a non-sex oriented music club in a mature or adult sim that welcomes all avatar types. The station is furry fandom oriented, but the show works well for furries and non-furries. I have had some folks with no connection to the furry fandom tell me they are quite hooked. I see real advantages to doing the show in a non-furry club or a furry club and would consider both.  

About me: I am an active SL dj who currently provides highly eclectic music sets, sometimes with visual choreography, at Vipera (#17 on the SL top 40) every Thursday. I got my start as a fill-in DJ at Club Amarantha (#1 on the SL top 40) and have also done guest appearances all over the grid. Apart from the radio show, I am not looking for other perm gigs, but I do enjoy doing guest DJing now and then, so I would consider those gigs.

Please contact me in world to discuss!

Lia (female.winslet)

Hi Female

I know you said to contact you inworld,  but I have some questions that I thought other readers might have.

I'm not completely clear on what you are looking for. You say simulcast in sl, but you can do that without an inworld location. Do you already have your own stream set up? If so, what kind of club are you looking for? What kind of financial arrangement are you looking for? 

It might help to clarify these topics here to get a better response inworld.

Hi Annabell, I’m happy to answer here too. 

Stream info:

It’s an Internet radio show, so it is carried on a pre-existing stream. The easiest way is to just put the station stream into the land or a DJ board as you would for any DJ shoutcast/icecast stream. 

Alternatively, if that does not work for some reason, it is possible to setup a relay from the station to an inworld stream as well. So essentially we can take the broadcast from the station stream and have it broadcast onto another stream rented in world like any other. In all candor, I don’t know why anyone would do that when it’s easier just to use the station stream.

==============================

Type of Club:

The things I’m looking for are pretty flexible and not very demanding.

I’m looking for a club on a moderate or adult sim. That’s because once in a while, there is an f-word or the possibility of something else not g-rated from a song or caller. I don’t want the club or me to get in trouble for that.

It needs to be somewhere that welcomes all. I’m a furry. I don’t have a human avatar in any kind of useable condition. So if furries are banned, the show won’t get very far. So clubs that don’t allow furries would not be a good fit. At the same time, this is a show where I know some of the more loyal listeners are not furries. So a furry only club would not be a good fit either. 

No sex clubs please. This isn’t a sexy show. But it is a show that is meant to draw out some very shy people and make them feel like they can speak and be heard. It’s meant to be a very humane show that tries to be very kind to its callers and listeners. But not a sex show. So if there are people having intercourse on the dance floor . . . . Well, I just turned down one club because of that yesterday.

In keeping with the idea of niceness, I’d like to work with nice people and a good team. I see myself as a part of that team which means that if the place needs, for example, a fill in dj because someone can’t make it, I will happily step up to the plate to help out and fill in  

The station is All Fur Radio, so I suppose the natural club location would be a furry club. I would certainly be interested in one. But I already know I have non-furry listeners and I’d be very interested in broadening beyond a furry listener base. So as long as all avatars are welcome, a non-furry club would hold a lot of appeal too.

I am told my show is a lot like the syndicated show put out by Delilah. I have never heard her show. Now that I’m told I’m like her, I am avoiding hearing her show so I don’t find myself copying her. But perhaps that gives an idea of the kind of show it is. 

===============================

Financial arrangements:

I would hope that a club would treat me like any of its other shows. A tip jar would be nice. Beyond that, I am pretty flexible. 

I care a lot about the show. I would hope that the club would have good people and an audience and would not be likely to suddenly vanish without notice.  

I don’t care near as much about the money and I do not need this show to be a primary SL income source. So just treat me like any other show is all I ask. 

Club owners should be aware that it is first and foremost a RL show, not an SL show. It doesn’t have to have an SL location at all. I just have the freedom to do it and I’d like to do it because I think it’s fun. 

So expect things like the occasional ad for another show, for a product, or for station identification. There is no reason a club could not become an advertiser whose ads would then also show up during other shows. Since this is a small station for a fandom that heavily patronizes SL, it’s very doable. 

===============================

I hope that helps!

Edited by Female Winslet
Adding one other point
  • Like 1

i think you will get more response when you contact furry clubs yourself, if you don't know a lot, perhaps use the groups.. for sure that will give more options than you will reach on the forum.

7 minutes ago, Female Winslet said:

I would hope that a club would treat me like any of its other shows. A tip jar would be nice. Beyond that, I am pretty flexible. 

I care a lot about the show. I would hope that the club would have good people and an audience and would not be likely to suddenly vanish without notice.  

most clubs in SL work with tipjars for DJ's think that won't be a problem, the second however.... it is normaly not the club that brings in the visitors, but the DJ brings them to the club... something to think about. If there are regulars in the club, they for sure will tp out if they don't like the set, nobody can prevent that.(same for occasional visitors)

49 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

i think you will get more response when you contact furry clubs yourself, if you don't know a lot, perhaps use the groups.. for sure that will give more options than you will reach on the forum.

Well, that is probably true if I were only looking for a furry club. But, as I said in the post you are responding to: 

59 minutes ago, Female Winslet said:

I already know I have non-furry listeners and I’d be very interested in broadening beyond a furry listener base. So as long as all avatars are welcome, a non-furry club would hold a lot of appeal too.

This posting is about not limiting myself to just furry clubs. Non-fur clubs offer some real pluses and I’m not sure which is a better option. ?

I could go into a lot of detail about why doing the show at a non-fur club would help to extend the reach beyond the fandom in ways that a furry club can't. I won't do that. But basically it's because groups don't mix very much and getting them to mix is pretty difficult.

most clubs in SL work with tipjars for DJ's think that won't be a problem, the second however.... it is normaly not the club that brings in the visitors, but the DJ brings them to the club... 

I’m not a new SL DJ. I disagree with this statement. I’ve had this same conversation with other DJs who also disagree with this statement. DJs will have a few loyal people who follow them from venue to venue. But most people are more loyal to the venue than to the DJ.  And I say that as a person who DJs in a place that's full of hall of famers, avatars choice award nominees and winners, professional RL radio broadcasters, and other really top notch DJs. 

With live performers, it is different. Live performers have much more audience loyalty and people are more likely to stick with them more than with venues or DJs.   

As an audience member myself. I behave the same way. If Voodoo Shilton or Phi Mayo is performing, I will go wherever they are. If a DJ is performing, I don’t go to them. If they stop performing at a club I attend, I stay at the club instead of following the DJ. That’s true for even the very best DJs. 

I certainly do have some folks who follow me and go to my club performances. But it is not going to build a club for someone.

As for ability to tp away . . . Well, of course they can. 

Edited by Female Winslet

My pleasure. ? I have not had anyone contact me yet, but that’s okay. Like I said it’s a first life radio show, so it doesn’t need to be on SL. I just thought it would be fun.

Aaaaaand come to find out I may in for a real life hand surgery that will knock me out of doing any kind of DJing/broadcasting for a while. Hope not. But maybe. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2052 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.