Can you see the difference?

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There has been a fair amount of "no name shaming" going on this week here.  

But it seems to me that some examples of "better" (not perfect) practices would be helpful as some folks still seem to believe that there NEEDS to be a high poly count in order to get "the look" :o.

Now I do know how to make VERY LOW POLY MESH. That however is not my aim here; I will leave that to others along with tiling textures.  I am aiming for a middle ground as we all know that what looks pretty is what sells. 

Still, I am adamant that the poly count in MANY cases could be lower than what is being produced. Honestly I have found a few creators this week who have recently made their mesh much more dense (yes, head shaking). This is not a good sign  -- in many ways, and could point to a few of my favorite designers journeying over to the dark side of downloaded mesh. I am hoping not, but time will tell I guess. I am trying not to get depressed over the issue.

This week has been hard on the H and G makers with all the drama and TOS breaking going on.

But anyway. 

Two quick screenshots from the beta grid with draped fabric (always an issue polywise). I am sure that on close inspection many could figure out the high and low poly alternatives without the cheat sheets. 

Both of these have long distance LODs with lots of vertices in the low and lowest slots.  One is 6 li -- one is 3. 

It took me about five minutes to remove all the edgeloops necessary for the lower LI version. Not a big deal. 

hassock.thumb.jpg.1834596d367af7a4b5ed03d83c914cbb.jpg

image.thumb.png.1e3b134ee38ee5b73067a6a152499c2c.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
forgot the photo :(
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Now I do know how to make VERY LOW POLY MESH. That however is not my aim here; I will leave that to others along with tiling textures.  I am aiming for a middle ground as we all know that what looks pretty is what sells. 

*smirks* You couldn't control yourself didn't you.

Other than that, it's pretty nice, but I'd argue that the entire center flat section could be massively reduced with no loss of detail. Just a few knife cut & edge dissolve so you don't lose that front draping.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.