Demo Text stuck on all my non demo face appliers

WidowPuppy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

From the info that was available to me by doing a little googling. The two things I've tried so far are clearing the cache, and rebaking textures. Non of which have worked.

From what I read about clearing the cache, instruction wise... I should go to a quite location when logging back into SL and go to my inventory/recent items, and wait for it to repopulate. Well... there currently is no repopulating cause all of my items seem to be there anyhow, tried it twice already, but perhaps I'm overlooking something. Apologize for my noobness, I'm an SL infant, lol.

Really enjoying the game so far. Aside from the fact that now all my saved shapes and skin, non demo, all say Demo on the right cheek. HALP!  xD

It sounds like the demo text is a layer that is siting over top the other layers..maybe even something attached.. look in current outfit folder to see if anything shows up as demo.

Does the hud for the face have an option to clear things like makeup or tattoo's or certain things like just eye liner and so on?

I doubt your other skins are marked with demo text..it's something sitting over them..

Edited by Ceka Cianci

Yeah, I didn't think that possible either from some experience texture editing. Thanks for the reply Ceka. I did try clearing my blush and lipstick layers, lemme go back in game and clear them all and see if that helps.

I have switched skins though from this demo back and forth with other demos and non for some comparisons. And the text did not remain while doing so then, while my other appliers did. Gonna hop in game and pray that works, cause nothing else seems to so far hahah. Laughing on the outside, crying on the inside lol.

Unfortunately that wasn't a fix for her new unwanted tatoo, as far as trying to clear make up layers. Have several chars made so far with diff shapes, and they all use diff skins that i've organized into folders. No matter which one i choose, char or texture, the Demo print remains.

Screenshot (279).png

Hi @WidowPuppy, and welcome to the forum. Hopefully I can shed a little more light on both your specific problem (since I'm a CSR for Catwa) and give you a more general understanding of how shapes, skins, and mesh body parts work (as a long-term user of SL and someone who works extensively with them every day).

With regard to your specific problem, you mention that you cleared the blush and lipstick layers on your head, but if that's a Catwa Bento head (and from the look of the HUD, it is) did you clear both the upper and the lower? Catwa Bento heads have two layers. Look for the checkboxes at the top of each section. Check 'lower' and then click 'clear' and then check 'upper' and click 'clear'. Example:

5b546d107e66d_upperlowerexample.png.098d17463ee0e8c8d44cfaec0ff94aed.png

The demo wording on your screenshot is on the blush layer, for future reference. Here's a great gif guide by one of my fellow CRS that shows you where each section is on the Catwa Bento heads.

Many skin designers put the demo text on the skin itself, but some (rather annoyingly!) also add it to the blush layer, which results in a lot of calls for help in our support group from people who tell us that ALL their skins have now turned into demos.

Sometimes, however, if SL (or your connection) is being laggy, or if you've accidentally managed to remove the scripts from your head (it's possible!) then nothing will work. If it's just lag then a relog (log out and then log back in) after trying to clear layers should fix it. And, as you've found, Reset ALL will put the head back to factory settings. We tend to only recommend Reset ALL as our second-to-last resort (redelivery is the last) though, since it's a lot of hassle getting skins etc re-applied, especially for newer residents. If Reset ALL doesn't work, then you've removed the scripts from your head, so just go back to the store, hit the redelivery terminal, and get a fresh copy of your head.

As to other general things you've mentioned here, I want to address the following two things:

9 hours ago, WidowPuppy said:

all my saved shapes and skin, non demo, all say Demo

9 hours ago, WidowPuppy said:

Have several chars made so far with diff shapes, and they all use diff skins that i've organized into folders. No matter which one i choose, char or texture, the Demo print remains.

Shapes are simply groups of numbers that set the underlying shape of your avatar. Other than changing how your body and head are actually shaped, they are not affected by demo text. Think of shapes as being like your skeleton. A RL tattoo only affects your skin, not your skeleton.

Likewise, saving skins and characters into folders in your inventory does not work the same with mesh heads and bodies as it does with system avatars. Mesh body parts will always show the last thing(s) that you applied to them, until you apply something else.

However, if - by 'diff skins that I've organised into folders' - you mean that you're saving copies of your head, each one with a different skin and makeup combination applied, into folders, then you don't need to do that. It'll bloat your inventory, and when an update to your head is released it will cause you no end of problems, because you'll have to re-apply everything to multiple copies of your head.

In the gift room at the Catwa store there is a free Bento Presets HUD gift for members of Catwa Head Friends (the inworld support group) and also the main (non-chat) Catwa group, which allows you to save all appliers on your head - including eyes - with a single click. It's copiable, so all you need to do is apply everything you want on your head, save it to a copy of that HUD, then keep the HUD in the outfit folder. That way, you only need one copy of your head, and - once the new outfit is on - one click on the saved HUD will apply the look (don't forget to remove the HUD afterwards, or it may cause texture lag) and you're ready to go :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I can't wait for someone to actually turn the "demo" thing into fashion. Kinda like those people IRL who wear their clothes without taking off the brand/price tags. 

Hahhah. At first I thought I might not have an option but to do so, lol. 

18 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Hi @WidowPuppy, and welcome to the forum. Hopefully I can shed a little more light on both your specific problem (since I'm a CSR for Catwa) and give you a more general understanding of how shapes, skins, and mesh body parts work (as a long-term user of SL and someone who works extensively with them every day).

With regard to your specific problem, you mention that you cleared the blush and lipstick layers on your head, but if that's a Catwa Bento head (and from the look of the HUD, it is) did you clear both the upper and the lower? Catwa Bento heads have two layers. Look for the checkboxes at the top of each section. Check 'lower' and then click 'clear' and then check 'upper' and click 'clear'. Example:

5b546d107e66d_upperlowerexample.png.098d17463ee0e8c8d44cfaec0ff94aed.png

The demo wording on your screenshot is on the blush layer, for future reference. Here's a great gif guide by one of my fellow CRS that shows you where each section is on the Catwa Bento heads.

Many skin designers put the demo text on the skin itself, but some (rather annoyingly!) also add it to the blush layer, which results in a lot of calls for help in our support group from people who tell us that ALL their skins have now turned into demos.

Sometimes, however, if SL (or your connection) is being laggy, or if you've accidentally managed to remove the scripts from your head (it's possible!) then nothing will work. If it's just lag then a relog (log out and then log back in) after trying to clear layers should fix it. And, as you've found, Reset ALL will put the head back to factory settings. We tend to only recommend Reset ALL as our second-to-last resort (redelivery is the last) though, since it's a lot of hassle getting skins etc re-applied, especially for newer residents. If Reset ALL doesn't work, then you've removed the scripts from your head, so just go back to the store, hit the redelivery terminal, and get a fresh copy of your head.

As to other general things you've mentioned here, I want to address the following two things:

Shapes are simply groups of numbers that set the underlying shape of your avatar. Other than changing how your body and head are actually shaped, they are not affected by demo text. Think of shapes as being like your skeleton. A RL tattoo only affects your skin, not your skeleton.

Likewise, saving skins and characters into folders in your inventory does not work the same with mesh heads and bodies as it does with system avatars. Mesh body parts will always show the last thing(s) that you applied to them, until you apply something else.

However, if - by 'diff skins that I've organised into folders' - you mean that you're saving copies of your head, each one with a different skin and makeup combination applied, into folders, then you don't need to do that. It'll bloat your inventory, and when an update to your head is released it will cause you no end of problems, because you'll have to re-apply everything to multiple copies of your head.

In the gift room at the Catwa store there is a free Bento Presets HUD gift for members of Catwa Head Friends (the inworld support group) and also the main (non-chat) Catwa group, which allows you to save all appliers on your head - including eyes - with a single click. It's copiable, so all you need to do is apply everything you want on your head, save it to a copy of that HUD, then keep the HUD in the outfit folder. That way, you only need one copy of your head, and - once the new outfit is on - one click on the saved HUD will apply the look (don't forget to remove the HUD afterwards, or it may cause texture lag) and you're ready to go :)

Hi Skell.  :)

I very much appreciate you extensive and informative explanation. I am indeed using a Catwa Bento, Catya atm... I did clear all the layers, so I thought. But... Never realized that the upper and lower layers needed to be cleared. I had just assumed that clear meant that specific area in it's entirety. Thanks for clearing that up, will now know for future instances where this might occur.

I'm only 6 days old in SL, maybe 7 today hahhah. Enjoying the experience so far. A lot to learn, which I also enjoy. And lots of screenshots to be made. Great product you guys have there. Used to working with high poly heads and sculpting manually by manipulating verticies, or just with sliders. But, what I'm not used to... is having several different variations to choose from. This is fantastic!

Thanks again Skell. And sorry for the late reply. Just got back to the forum now.  :)

Edited by WidowPuppy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.