IamGENDERLESStheyTHEMtheir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2272 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I use Alchemy as my viewer. As of a few minutes ago it told me it couldn't auto-fill my name and password. Which I had set to saved.... So I did it myself. Then it told me it had trouble logging in and gave me the option to teleport home, which I did. And when I logged in all my settings were back to default. I have had to reset my toolbar and everything, including the custom colors I had saved in my edit color bar.

What happened? This has never occurred before and I've been on SL for years.

2 answers to this question

2 hours ago, IamGENDERLESStheyTHEMtheir said:

What happened? This has never occurred before and I've been on SL for years.

What's happened is that the settings file for your viewer and your logged in settings for your viewer preferences (popup positions, font sizes etc...) that are stored on YOUR computer, cannot be read by your viewer.

Either the files are corrupted maybe during a viewer crash, or have been deleted/moved by you while cleaning out the appdata folders, or the hard drive is faulty and losing/corrupting files as it's surface deteriorates.

Run a drive check, then look to see if the folder for the viewer settings is actually still there.

This isn't a SecondLife problem this is a problem with the contents of your appdata folder

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Klytyna, is almost certainly right. It is common for viewers to crash on log out and we users don't notice. At our next login we find a problem.

If this becomes a recurring problem, look at the secondlife.log file immediately after you log off. If there was a crash at log off you should see some warning or error message in the log.

Recently my Firestorm is consistently crashing at log off, IF I use OBS for video capture.

My point is, if it happens a lot you can probably track down the cause. But, often these are one-off occurances the result of a perfect storm.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2272 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.