You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It is a horrible video, quality-wise. But, some interesting content. Runs 55 minutes.

I have an index up with each question time marked: http://blog.nalates.net/2018/03/19/more-ebbe-altberg-from-2018-vwbpe/

You can quickly skim the questions and go for those that interest you. For SL residents there isn't much in the way of new information.

Unfortunately Ebbe and Bret apparently did NOT control the quality of the recording. The render looks like something from 10-years ago. Maybe they can get some quality control going for interviews, like must use computer built after the change over from stone to silicon... And is use of Classic avatars for Lindens meeting the public a policy thing?

And those Places Pages... has anyone found one of those in a search engine yet? Is the 'Do NOT Index' flag set or what!?!

At least if you search for Second Life for educators you get this page: http://go.secondlife.com/landing/education/ That works. The second result is a wiki page: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Second_Life_Education/Resources. (Bret did update the wiki page in Feb 2018) So, there are Linden pages that place well in search results. 

• Thanks 4

• Community Manager

Thank you for posting this, Nalates!

I've followed up with our webdev team and they have confirmed that there is not a "do not index" flag that would prevent Place Pages from being indexed. Since we are in beta and these have not yet been used or promoted widely, it may take some time for Place Pages to build relevancy for prominent indexing in the various search engine algorithms. However, that should change as these are more widely used. We'll also continue to look at ways to ensure that these pages are optimized for search engine discovery. One important thing that Place Page creators need to do is set their parcel to "visible" in search so that the page is eligible to be visible. 

I am also planning to do some updates to the SL Education Resources wiki soon. I did a minor update recently, but there are more improvements needed! Any input or feedback from the education community is helpful so that we can make it better.

...and my Linden avatar definitely needs a makeover! I'm too comfortable in my own (virtual) skin, I guess... LOL

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Brett Linden said:

Since we are in beta and these have not yet been used or promoted widely, it may take some time for Place Pages to build relevancy for prominent indexing in the various search engine algorithms. However, that should change as these are more widely used. We'll also continue to look at ways to ensure that these pages are optimized for search engine discovery. One important thing that Place Page creators need to do is set their parcel to "visible" in search so that the page is eligible to be visible. 

There is no perceived benefit in places pages for normal people, so it's not worth the effort for us to create, SEO, and maintain them.

It's dead in the water because the Lab never convinced club owners, landlords, RP sim owners, and shop owners to spend the time. Without those groups on board Places will not reach that critical mass that Google/Bing need.

Edited by Callum Meriman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.