Why is Second Life installing twice?

Betty Whitman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I haven't been home in a couple of weeks.  Kept trying to play SL and could not move around.  Thought maybe a new update.  I looked in my programs and features area, it is in there twice.  So, I uninstalled both, downloaded again.  When I click on the setup it installs.  After the setup, when I launch the launcher it asks for language and everything a second time.  Now there are two installments, again.  What is up?

3 answers to this question

I suspect that you installed the 64-bit update, but the shortcut icon on your task bar (or startup menu) is stlll pointing to the 32-bit installation, which is in a different folder on your hard drive.  So, when you click that icon, it starts up the OLD 32-bit version, which thinks that you still haven;t installed the 64-bit update.  The solution is to make a new shortcut that points to the 64-bit version, in the correct folder. On my computer, that's in the Program Files directory:

b7e155c1067e37dee7904d85b34e0bf5.png

Copy that new shortcut to the startup menu.

• Like 2

Or you can keep both the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions.  There is no law saying you have to have only one viewer...I have had as many as five installed.  32 bit programs are nearly always found in C:\Program Files (x86) while 64 bit programs are in C:\Program Files.  Re-name your desktop shortcuts so you don't get 'em confused; just right click and choose Rename.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.