Spamming

AlexandriteGem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2278 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Unfortunately, this user seems to be a known spammer. Spammers will refuse to remove you from lists, or tell you they did but not really.

The best solution is to file an abuse report against the user:

Often spammers will use a legitimate service known as HippoGroups. While this service is good for sending out update notifications to customers, it is often abused by nefarious people. (Think, email providers such as gmail are great, but spammers often abuse them)

I am unsure if they use HippoGroups to send out these objects, you can always check by:

1. Go to http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Dosojin/235/182/31
  2. Face north and click the sign directly in front of you. It'll give you a username and password
  3. Log in with the given username/password at http://www.hippo-tech-sl.com/myhippogroups/
  4. Under your username, click the "Block list", then click "Block anybody from adding me to a hippoGROUP" OR by blocking the specific owner.

If you can send me a location in-world(As it would be against the rules of the forum to post the link publicly, as per the name and shame policy), I will investigate this further and figure out the exact removal instructions.

To get the location, right click the object name, click "Copy URL to clipboard", then send it to me via an IM. You can do that by clicking here, clicking the Gear on my profile, and choosing "IM".

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 6

Block/mute the object's owner, not the object itself. The owner might be using multiple objects to spam, each of which you would have to block individually. If you block the owner, all of their spamming objects are blocked.

A quick search for that resident shows that they own a clothing store on Marketplace. I would hazard a guess, therefore, that Chaser's suggestion that you've been added to that person's store-promoting HippoGroup* without your consent is correct, so try following the advice given in Chaser's post (as well as blocking/muting the owner).

This could be simply because you walked past their store (or a small satellite store that you might not even have noticed) and triggered off a visitor counter that was set with too wide a radius, so they've assumed that you went into their store and have thus added you to their 'update list'. Or maybe you picked up a hunt gift at some point from their store. Or any other number of reasons where they might have got hold of your name.

It's a pet peeve of mine when creators do this. If I am interested in receiving updates from your store then I will show my interest by joining your store group or subscriber group. What I don't appreciate is being added to groups without my knowledge. Daily notecards promoting your items that I'm not even remotely interested in? That's the kind of tactic that will backfire on you if you annoy me enough to make me publicise it... ;)

*ETA: There are other kinds of mass-mailing options available, so the HippoGroup suggestion may not work if they're not using that one. Hence my suggestion of blocking the object owner.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2278 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.