New Privacy settings on web profiles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There is a good blog by Inara Pey on this... I guess I can't link to it.  Anyway, Ann O'Toole announced across the street that there are new privacy settings on web profiles.

If you go to http://my.secondlife.com/firstname.lastname (leave off the dot and lastname if you don't have one),
you'll see a drop-down menu near your name in the upper right.

If you choose Privacy Settings, you'll see the five settings:

• About Me
  • Real World
  • Interests
  • Groups
  • Picks

each with these three options:

• Everyone means all the earth.
  • Second Life means logged in SL users.
  • Friends means people on your friend list, when they're logged in.

These ARE new. The new settings have a finer granularity on who can and can't see the profile, picks, groups, etc. .

For one thing, you can now choose to NOT have your profile searchable on the Internet or accessible via the web unless the person is already logged in via an SL account, and it actually works! If you choose "Friends" or "Second Life" as the access level for all of the areas, someone looking from the Internet without logging in can ONLY get your SL avatar's name and SL "birthdate" (Account creation date), and the in-world pic image - nothing else. No description, partner info, etc.. While an in-world search will still function.

Here's the new settings:

Five areas you can control for the information you share:

• About Me: This includes your biography, homepage, partner, and social identities.
  • Real World: This refers to the real world section of your profile.
  • Interests: Your interests can be seen by people viewing your profile, and are also used to recommend people and places to you.
  • Groups: You can hide specific groups in your profile by using the group profile setting in the viewer.
  • Picks: Your list of things to recommend to other people in Second Life.
Each has three levels of access now:
  • Everyone means that the information is available to the whole Internet and can be picked up by search engines.
  • Second Life means that the information is available to all Second Life residents who are logged in to the website or inworld.
  • Friends means that only your Second Life friends can see the information.
On the prior version of the privacy settings, the choice that said you didn't want to be searchable on the Internet also made you inaccessible in-world on the 2.x profile viewer. You came back as "Name Unavailable" if anyone searched for you. So to be findable at all in-world, you also had to expose your profile to the Internet and to people with no SL account and no clue what SL is.

I'm sorry but I have been aware of these privacy settings for quite some time now since Irene Muni posted about them a while back, I even went ahead and changed my settings. Perhaps LL made an official post about them recently? Nonetheless these settings have been there for quite some time now.

These options ARE new i believe they must have updated them during that "problem" they had with the host the other day... There used to be only three options in the privacy settings not 5, "about me" and "real word" are the two new ones that have been added from my memory...

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.