Full perm textures really full perm?

Finite

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After spending hours on google looking for textures for a personal build I am making for my sim I decided to see what was available in the Market Place. To my surprise (not really) I noticed a lot of the textures I saw online were also available full perm in multiple packages by various sellers on the Market Place all declaring that they cannot be resold as individual or packaged textures.  This is ironic considering In reading the terms of a lot of the textures I've seen online, most (if not all) do not allow their products to be resold as packages and some (if not most) specifically state that they are not to be used in Second Life. 

So with that being said, just because you purchase something "full perm" in Second Life,  it does not necessarily mean that product is actually full perm. And if you did decide to "violate" the terms of the Second Life seller it's highly likely that he or she would fail in proving intellectual property since more than likely it belongs to someone else.

• Like 2

"Full perm" has nothing to do with intellectual property rights. It simply means that you have the ability to copy, modify, or transfer the item in SL.  Whether you also have the right to do those things is a different matter.  And, yes, a lot of "creators" lift things from outside of SL and pass them off as their own work.

I understood quite well.  This same conversation pops up regularly in SL.  The point is that when you buy something that is "full perm", all that means is that whoever sold it granted you the  ability to copy, modify, and transfer it in SL. The closest analogy in RL that I can think of off the top of my head is that someone can hand you a key to my front door, so you will have the ability to enter my house and rob me blind.  The key is your "full permission" to my stuff. It's as illegal as hell, but that's a separate matter from whether the key works.

So, someone sells you a packet of textures that she ripped off from the Internet.  It's illegal, so she can get in trouble for violating the TOS and federal copyright law.  Still, if you can physically copy, modify, and resell the textures, they are full perm.  This is why we spend so much time trying to get grade school kids to understand the difference between "Can I?" and "May I?"

• Thanks 2

It was more to do with the declaration by the sellers that the buyer cannot turn around resell the textures (which in my opinion they have as much right to as the seller).

But thanks for your literal input. Yes I can upload something that doesn’t belong to me and I guess sell it as full perm since those 3 little boxes say I can and those that buy it would have those abilities in game. 

Anyways, it’s a good idea to protect your products by simply doing a little background in the 3rd party sources you are using.

last I checked “I didn’t know” isn’t a good defense.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Finite said:

last I checked “I didn’t know” isn’t a good defense.

I agree, and so do both Linden Lab and the U.S. government.  If a creator files a DMCA complaint against an SL resident for violation of intellectual property rights, Linden Lab is required to remove all instances of the objectionable item from its servers. If you bought the item, it would disappear from your inventory. 

Edited by Rolig Loon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.