Yes or No: Adult content on a General Sim

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

44 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

If I remember right,when Philip Rosedale came back,he had spoken about  wanting one day,  the two grids merged..not long after,there was the move to adult mainland and then  the teen grid merge..

Everyone had a very good suspicion that that was what was happening the whole time..

You couldn't get a linden to admit it while the move to adult mainland was going on..But I don't think it was a year later that the grids were merged.

It's been awhile so time spans may have been farther apart than I'm thinking..But a lot of people felt the move to adult mainland was because of teen grid merge..

zindra was 2009 and teen grid merge was 2010 I believe.

Edited by Ceka Cianci

On 11/21/2017 at 4:55 AM, Phil Deakins said:

@Qa Boa

I don't know where you got what you described from, "A region designated General is not allowed to advertise or make available content or activity that is sexually explicit, violent, or depicts nudity.  Sexually-oriented objects such as "sex beds" or poseballs may not be located or sold in General regions." There are 2 sentences, and there's nothing in the second one to indicate that it refers to the first sentence or anything that you said.

You should understand that all of the Lindens don't know all of the rules concerning this particular topic. Some years ago, when the Adult category came in, a Linden responding to someone's AR made me stop putting my bots on sex beds in my store, which was in a Moderate sim. He got it wrong, but I had to comply while I contacted Harry Linden, and quoted and linked to Linden posts in the forum that stated that what I was doing certainly was allowed. My bots went back in without any changes. I started a thread about it back then.

What I'm saying is that, even if a Linden told you that it's ok, it doesn't guarantee that it really is ok, and, in this case, the ToS is perfectly clear - it is not ok.

To basically clear up any questions, yes one should ask a Linden or support on the matter (See attached image) It does not mean that any particular policy is allowed or forbidden or that a Linden does not know a particular policy. It simply mean on a case by case basis. So if anything, I'd let those that want to report a lone sex bed on a visual restricted group/private access only parceled house (even on a PG estate) and let a Linden make that determination , which the image clearly shows that it is a Linden staff's call.

SLTOSclip1_P.png

3 hours ago, Hunter Stern said:

To basically clear up any questions, yes one should ask a Linden or support on the matter (See attached image) It does not mean that any particular policy is allowed or forbidden or that a Linden does not know a particular policy. It simply mean on a case by case basis. So if anything, I'd let those that want to report a lone sex bed on a visual restricted group/private access only parceled house (even on a PG estate) and let a Linden make that determination , which the image clearly shows that it is a Linden staff's call.

SLTOSclip1_P.png

in line with general policies... and the general policy is no adult items on a general sim

• Like 1

I figure people have three options..

They can play it safe,ride the line,or go over it..

If someone ask's what the rules are,I'm gonna tell them what the rules are to the best of my knowledge..

If they want break them anyways and not on my land doing it..

I couldn't care less how they put their own stuff or own account at risk...Just know that there are people out there that live to bust other people and have nothing better to do than run around and report you for the slightest thing..

Sometimes all you can do is smile that evil smile and say,go for it..

evil-laugh-baby.jpg

hehehehe

5 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

in line with general policies... and the general policy is no adult items on a general sim

I'm sorry but that is still ambiguous in it's definition. Where is this 'General Policy' source that one can cite?

Below are diagrams taken from: Legal/Second Life Terms and Conditions Page, Terms of Service, and Content Guideline and a list of references to all the policy pages. Nowhere is the term 'General Policy' mentioned or defined.

LindenLabTermofServiceCliphighlight2_P.png

LindenLabContentGuidelines2_P.png

LindenLabTermsandcondtionsPage_otherPolicyReferences_P.png

Edited by Hunter Stern

21 minutes ago, Hunter Stern said:

I'm sorry but that is still ambiguous in it's definition. Where is this 'General Policy' source that one can cite?

Below are diagrams taken from: Legal/Second Life Terms and Conditions Page, Terms of Service, and Content Guideline and a list of references to all the policy pages. Nowhere is the term 'General Policy' mentioned or defined.

LindenLabTermofServiceCliphighlight2_P.png

LindenLabContentGuidelines2_P.png

LindenLabTermsandcondtionsPage_otherPolicyReferences_P.png

General policy is the whole thing. Sexually explicit content is explicitly banned from general regions. You've cited the sources yourself in your post. What exactly is the problem?

Even Linden Lab cannot just pull words out of the air or loosely define , not on legal terms. These are legal and binding terms without limitation to any of the other policies in part or in whole.

Again since these are apparently The 'General Policy', then the term 'Discretion' is the same as "it is a Linden Employees call or discretion" which means exactly that you may or may not get warned or suspended for adult content on obscured inaccessible G rated land/parcel.

But these aren't General Policy , but loose legal terms within scope subject to change at anytime with or without notice upon discretion.

Also, the part where it states they may remove any content they feel violates ToS or similar guidelines, implies  that they 'might' but not literally. They will contact or make every attempt to contact said person of the content (if it is on a parcel) to remove said content. If the contact cannot be made within a reasonable amount of time and the content is shown to have a disruptive effect or impact , then yes they will remove and inform the owner. Linden Employees are not allowed to just pluck things off your land because they deem them distasteful. This is clearly outlined in the Employee to Residents interaction guidelines which are not published on these pages but do exist.

Overview

This article provides clarifications to the basic information on adult content provided in the SL Knowledge Base:

KBcaution.png Important: The information here is not intended to cover every possible situation or question. Linden Lab reserves the right to review individual cases and make determinations based on specific circumstances in line with general policies.

Frequently asked questions

What does "advertises or publicly promotes" mean?

The maturity ratings distinguish between publicly-promoted adult content, required to be on Adult regions, and non-public adult content, such as private homes with a sex bed, that can be located on Moderate land.

Adult activities cannot be advertised or publicly promoted on Moderate land. Such activity must occur privately, behind closed doors on Moderate land (see below), and is forbidden on General land. These restrictions apply regardless of whether the parcel has hidden avatars.

Advertising for SL search using adult words clearly requires being on Adult land. Other examples of advertising or publicly-promoting include renting signs inworld, listing on events, buying ads in newspapers, or distributing flyers or notecards to passersby.

Private invitations to friends are not considered advertising or promoting. Inviting everyone in a small private group that you control is not considered advertising. However, inviting everyone in a public group can be considered a promotional effort.

People can play the odds and gamble all they want on what LL means by  the word Forbidden.. But it sounds pretty definite to me..So I say,roll the dice and go for it, if you think they are being vague..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.