Doubt about bake in blender

Spaiker Bravitz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You need to mark your seams, apply rotation and scale and then unwrap.  Also, you typically don't want to be baking onto a transparent texture plain OR if you do be sure and save your AO map (or full bake) as a RGB and not RGBA file when you save. 

That may not actually be your question :D but it is the thing most noticeable (to me anyway) that is a problem with your "map".  It seems unlikely that you could make that very nice looking sweater and not know this, so likely I am missing something and time to go back to bed LOL.

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

You need to mark your seams, apply rotation and scale and then unwrap.  Also, you typically don't want to be baking onto a transparent texture plain OR if you do be sure and save your AO map (or full bake) as a RGB and not RGBA file when you save. 

That may not actually be your question :D but it is the thing most noticeable (to me anyway) that is a problem with your "map".  It seems unlikely that you could make that very nice looking sweater and not know this, so likely I am missing something and time to go back to bed LOL.

For about two weeks I learned and met the blender, some details (like this one) may sound silly, but that confused me. I've tried many and I'm not meeting, I do not want to have to give up now lol I'll try what you've explained lol

I have made some videos that might help.   Here is the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnUjXtZrc64laa7-1NUSY8pjXedwQj7kn

And here is the episode that says it is on mapping :D.  There are likely others in there that talk about mapping also. It is one of THE most important parts of Blender. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9z_zsC_uuw&index=5&t=3s&list=PLnUjXtZrc64laa7-1NUSY8pjXedwQj7kn

These use the CYCLES baking engine but the mapping process is the same. 

Good luck. 

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I have made some videos that might help.   Here is the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnUjXtZrc64laa7-1NUSY8pjXedwQj7kn

And here is the episode that says it is on mapping :D.  There are likely others in there that talk about mapping also. It is one of THE most important parts of Blender. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9z_zsC_uuw&index=5&t=3s&list=PLnUjXtZrc64laa7-1NUSY8pjXedwQj7kn

These use the CYCLES baking engine but the mapping process is the same. 

Good luck. 

Nothing done, I cut the arms, sleeves, the parts that need to be done. But it continues with this pixelated effect.

I made that shirt from my own body. I did not it front and then the back and turned on the vertices. It was made from the body and then I gave a ctrl D and P and created it and then began to sculpt.

Do you believe this could be the cause? The way I did it? 

And thanks for the videos and for your time.

5 hours ago, Aquila Kytori said:

Hi :)

Does your T-shirt have faces also on the inner surface?  For example did you use the solidify modifier on it ?

5a10283a858c7_NoInsidefacesbake.thumb.png.5ab101cf73da005cd0fbb24044b420c3.png

with inside faces......

5a10287b45b86_insideandoutsidefaces.thumb.png.ddd835e76797637e6a1c3d5a0f6c7157.png

Or could the mesh body underneath be causing the problem?

I applied two mods, to Solidify and Subdivision Surface. Could it be that? 
And it's true, there are faces below. Did you unravel the mystery? How can I solve this?

df81f79692273d2e36a673ac95df0e1e.png

You need to mark seams for your mesh so that you have an inside and and outside and you will have a thin "rim" between them. 

rim.JPG.01241a51fbbcf8b96ea773c6e4e5f3cf.JPG

When you unwrap there will be a section that is the outside you see and one that you don't see (in the case of your shirt).

5a10807b3d6b9_baskingsolidified.thumb.JPG.f47a3699a02ed4d779d7fb735e6bb696.JPG

ALSO, If your solidify is not thick enough you will still get the nasty triangles "poking through" visually and baking badly so make sure that there is enough thickness so that doesn't happen. It might take a couple of tries.

solidify.thumb.JPG.54940324a1ec8e259f212096d48bfae0.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spaiker Bravitz said:

But how do I do this using mod solidify? I like the effect it causes

As an alternative to what Chic has already suggested :

For clothes like your T-shirt mesh, the inside faces will never be seen when the item is worn so why even have them?

Instead, to fill in the gap between the shirts openings, (neck,waist and arms) and the avatars body,  select the openings edge loop, Extrude and Scale inwards a little.

5a108a5f2aa05_Extrudeandscaleinwards.gif.afab3d9d1a8dcfcc328c4f7689286805.gif

You can get the same effect using the Solidify modifier when only Fill Rim  and  Only Rim  options are checked.

5a10904390009_SolidifyOnlyRim.png.dfc5f8882c3308c191f8dd0c69d68766.png

Edited by Aquila Kytori
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aquila Kytori said:

For clothes like your T-shirt mesh, the inside faces will never be seen when the item is worn so why even have them?

Agreed but some designers just keep doing it. I actually (not clothes of course) do the full solidify thing (like on draped box or bowl of bread or whatever) and then go back and delete all the faces that will never show.  :D

That would work with clothes too I guess. I DO agree that sometimes "underneath" areas CAN be seen and it is disconcerting (especially when taking a blog photo) to see that "air" in there that isn't realistic at all. So a blend between full solidify with complete insides and almost no solidify (or extruding) is the most aesthetic method I think. But everyone gets to choose their methods LOL.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Agreed but some designers just keep doing it. I actually (not clothes of course) do the full solidify thing (like on draped box or bowl of bread or whatever) and then go back and delete all the faces that will never show.  :D

That would work with clothes too I guess. I DO agree that sometimes "underneath" areas CAN be seen and it is disconcerting (especially when taking a blog photo) to see that "air" in there that isn't realistic at all. So a blend between full solidify with complete insides and almost no solidify (or extruding) is the most aesthetic method I think. But everyone gets to choose their methods LOL.

I have a number of old clothes, even skirts, where if you look under them (ok, ok), they 'disappear'.  It's really annoying.

Let's hope all mesh clothing designers see this thread!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.