Blender 2.79 - Tread Carefully :D

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2574 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have had no problems at all updating Blender the last few times but I spent the whole morning getting 2.78c BACK. So just a warning. My issues (whatever they may be as my computer HAS been running flawlessly (knocking on plastic) ) may not be yours (Win10Pro).

A few of the add-ons that I either wanted to try or used all the time didn't work. So I went back to 2.78 (or tried). A restore point didn't work at all and so I  lost my install from April. After doing a lot of deleting of 2.79 files to get a clean uninstall (the regular uninstall didn't work well enough to install the earlier version back -- and running CCleaner and rebooting several times, I finally appear to have 2.78 up and running as it has been. The add-on that I needed was working again fine there also. 

But it was a long morning. So,  just a heads up that this doesn't seem to be as stable as the previous official releases. 

Maybe waiting a bit with a "b" version or whatever might be a good plan.  I suspect that it WILL work fine for those not needing add-ons.  There were a few  issues with the installation itself but easily enough to fix, just some extra time. Still, installing (if you can) in another directory might be good and leaving your previous just in case. That has worked for me before but it has been awhile so not sure it is possible now. 

:SwingingFriends:

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

Hi Chic :)

Is there any advantage in installing Blender ? ( .msi  download )

I have since . . . . long ago always chosen the stand-alone .zip version to download.
I save the zip file to a folder I call Blender Downloads . Then unpack to that same folder.
I drag the new blender shortcut from the unzipped file to my taskbar and always open from there.
When I want to remove older versions I have nothing to uninstall, simply drag from my Blender Downloads folder to the bin.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

running CCleaner

gulp - off topic but a bit important.

CCleaner Hack Affects Millions

Cisco Talos says anyone who was running CCleaner version 5.33 was susceptible to the hack. And given the billions of downloads the app has secured, and the millions that it attracts each week, it’s likely that millions of users were infected.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ccleaner-hack-affects-millions-know-141720237.html

time to make sure you are updated to 5.34 of ccleaner.

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

gulp - off topic but a bit important.

CCleaner Hack Affects Millions

Cisco Talos says anyone who was running CCleaner version 5.33 was susceptible to the hack. And given the billions of downloads the app has secured, and the millions that it attracts each week, it’s likely that millions of users were infected.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ccleaner-hack-affects-millions-know-141720237.html

time to make sure you are updated to 5.34 of ccleaner.

Happily I am and don't run it often either (I admit).  BUT didn't know about that hack and will pass it along. Thanks. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2574 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.