Materials problem when uploading

Suki Hirano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2521 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Everyone heard of the infamous "material of model is not a subset of the reference model" error, but I was playing around today and found that most of the time it's probably the uploader's fault.

So I tried uploading a mesh item with 2 materials, then created a simple cube with 2 materials to assign it as the lowest LOD to save on upload costs, of course it didn't work and threw that stupid error. I inspected the file with notepad++ to make sure that it has the same number of materials, and all materials have exact same name. I even copy/pasted the entire material generation section of the code. Nope still throws that stupid error. So here comes the funny part: I selected the exact same mesh item as the lowest LOD, and it still throws that stupid error. Lolwut? So basically the uploader claims that the exact same file has different # of materials/different material names. So I can safely conclude the "load from file" option for the LODs is broken and you're forced to use the uploader to generate LOD's?

Not really much I could do other than a very long facepalm... I guess I have no choice but to use the uploader to generate a very bad lowest LOD model?

Edited by Suki Hirano

1 hour ago, Suki Hirano said:

I guess I have no choice but to use the uploader to generate a very bad lowest LOD model?

That error shows up for various reasons. If you do a search for "not a subset" in the mesh forum, there will be plenty of threads with that problem.
However, it's definitely possible to upload custom LODs with correctly assigned materials. We do it all the time.

3 hours ago, Suki Hirano said:

So I can safely conclude the "load from file" option for the LODs is broken and you're forced to use the uploader to generate LOD's?

Not at all. I never ever use any LoD models generated by the uploader and only have that problem when I made a mistake and accidentally removed a material in one f the LoD models before uploading.

I may be wrong but I think I can guess what caused the problem in your case:

I inspected the file with notepad++ to make sure that it has the same number of materials, and all materials have exact same name. I even copy/pasted the entire material generation section of the code

I'm afraid that may not be enough. The uploader is very picky when it comes to matching dae syntaxes for LoD models. The materials are referred to elsewhere in the dae file too so changing the material list is not enough. The only safe way is to use the high LoD file as the basis for the other models.

I selected the exact same mesh item as the lowest LOD, and it still throws that stupid error. Lolwut? So basically the uploader claims that the exact same file has different # of materials/different material names.

Once the uploader has has made up its mind that a LoD model doesn't fit, it won't bother to recheck even if you select another file. I'm afraid the only colustion is to cancel the upload and start over again.

most of the time it's probably the uploader's fault.

Don't blame the program for the programmers' mistakes. ;)

The way I see it, the uploader is like an enthusiastic little puppy who runs off to fetch the newspaper for its owner and returns proudly wagging its tail with a lump of chewed-up pulp in its mouth. It tries its best to be helpful but it's just so horribly bad at it.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

The only safe way is to use the high LoD file as the basis for the other models.

Thanks. I at least understood this part of the equation and when I HAVE made my own lower  models from the high LOD it has worked fine by removing edge loops etc. BUT I also knew that someone could say that better LOL . 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2521 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.