mesh "alpha glitch" (NOT the normal issue)

tabletopfreak Toocool

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK. Are you sure this isn't a test from arton (just kidding).  Looks for one like your texture is transparent when it shouldn't be?  That is an "undocumented feature" in the current Blender (hopefullyl fixed in the upcoming version) that automatically changes the texture to alpha when you save it the second time IF you don't be sure and check RGB when saving.

Second you may have too many triangles in your mesh and the uploader is making a NEW material for you as you have gone past the limit?

Those are my two guesses :D. 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits#Mesh

24 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

OK. Are you sure this isn't a test from arton (just kidding).  Looks for one like your texture is transparent when it shouldn't be?  That is an "undocumented feature" in the current Blender (hopefullyl fixed in the upcoming version) that automatically changes the texture to alpha when you save it the second time IF you don't be sure and check RGB when saving.

Second you may have too many triangles in your mesh and the uploader is making a NEW material for you as you have gone past the limit?

Those are my two guesses :D. 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits#Mesh

No its ment to be clear.. But not those triangles .. Its about 26k poly but it happens of some low poly too.. But there are some mesh body's that look fine clear so there must be a step I'm missing 

1 hour ago, tabletopfreak Toocool said:

No its ment to be clear.. But not those triangles .. Its about 26k poly but it happens of some low poly too.. But there are some mesh body's that look fine clear so there must be a step I'm missing 

Read the link to see what you are missing.

2 hours ago, tabletopfreak Toocool said:

OK. There is also an issue called "phong" and you can look that up in the forums. I thought that was taken care of by the uploader now as I haven't had any issues in a year and a half or more, but "could be".   In general IF you mesh has two sides you need to have two different materials (one inside and one outside) because of the alpha glitches. There is much more to it than that but IF it could be the issue, just look up the threads :D.    

AND 26K poly is over the limit if it is one material, so in this case that is likely the issue. Not sure about the others. And yes, be sure and READ that link (and below the bullet points).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

OK. Are you sure this isn't a test from arton (just kidding).

LOL xD

12 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Haha, I thought "Paging Arton."

If this keeps up we will need a sticky.

Stickies for the most common mesh issues would be nice I guess. To bad we can't edit the opening post after 24 hours though.

The "phong" thread Chic mentioned is this one:

Hard to tell from the image if the "too many tris per material" is at play here as well. It's possible that you can't get rid of the artifacts entirely. Depending on which angles you look through the mesh.

23 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

Hard to tell from the image if the "too many tris per material" is at play here as well. It's possible that you can't get rid of the artifacts entirely. Depending on which angles you look through the mesh.

Well, IF some similar bodies like this do work they could be "A" below the tris per material limit (see at least I remembered this time) or "B" the person making might have made an "inside" (as in a wine glass which is actually the only thing that I have used all the phong tricks on) hence negating the phong thing. Actually I have made quite a few glasses after that post (thanks for finding) and I have had no issues at all as long as I used one material for the inside and one for the outside. 

Just to make sure I got one from inventory and made a bunch. No triangles to be seen and I didn't do anything except for the two materials trick (so not all the steps in that old post). My thinking is that they did something on the server or uploader that fixed the issue.  

We certainly do get LARGE photos these days LOL.    It is considerable smaller  in my snippet!  *wink*.

wineglasses.thumb.PNG.6de0d0f9a8aaf190c9b91ad097ded478.PNG

Yes, it works quite good on models like glasses. However, I remember one, or two forum threads where the issue appeared on a skirt which had a couple of folds (can't remember the titles, and possibly the images are gone anyway :/). And depending on from where you looked at it, the odd shading was there. I tried to replicate that with a similar test object, and I hadn't found a way to eliminate the issue on such geometry.

So AFAIK, there isn't an absolute cure for the problem as yet.

Edited by arton Rotaru

On 7/28/2017 at 0:47 PM, arton Rotaru said:

Yes, it works quite good on models like glasses. However, I remember one, or two forum threads where the issue appeared on a skirt which had a couple of folds (can't remember the titles, and possibly the images are gone anyway :/). And depending on from where you looked at it, the odd shading was there. I tried to replicate that with a similar test object, and I hadn't found a way to eliminate the issue on such geometry.

So AFAIK, there isn't an absolute cure for the problem as yet.

Yeah it happens on low poly mesh too.. Sometimes it doesn't happen just seems odd.. But I guess 99% of the time your mesh is not clear .. So most people might not have had this issue

On 7/28/2017 at 0:15 AM, Chic Aeon said:

OK. There is also an issue called "phong" and you can look that up in the forums. I thought that was taken care of by the uploader now as I haven't had any issues in a year and a half or more, but "could be".   In general IF you mesh has two sides you need to have two different materials (one inside and one outside) because of the alpha glitches. There is much more to it than that but IF it could be the issue, just look up the threads :D.    

AND 26K poly is over the limit if it is one material, so in this case that is likely the issue. Not sure about the others. And yes, be sure and READ that link (and below the bullet points).

Thanks.  Looks like this will help..Yeah when I am by the. Of I'll try the phong fixes, but yes that is the issue I'm having I'm sure of it. I'll update later if setting normal creases from default to 45 fixes it

Edited by tabletopfreak Toocool

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.