glitching

tbone19

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

16 answers to this question

Aha.  That's a connection problem.  You are disconnecting, not crashing.  Your Internet may be "fine" for plenty of things, but it's having a problem with SL today.  Bandwidth is very rarely a problem, so don't even bother looking at that.  Your problem is reliability.  Unlike games that you may have played on line, SL has to maintain a steady two-way data stream between your computer and the Linden Lab servers.  If the two get out or sync by much more than 200 msec -- a Ping issue -- or if you are losing more than a fraction of 1% of your data in transit -- a packet loss issue -- you will disconnect.  If you are getting close to those limits but haven't gone over yet, you will experience serious lag and will have trouble rezzing things, retrieving things from inventory, and teleporting.

The usual culprit is your router.  Reboot it and your modem by unplugging both from the power for a few minutes and then replugging and restarting everything.  If you have been using a wifi connection, don't.  Linden Lab neither recommends nor supports wifi because there's too much risk of packet loss.  Use a cable or DSL connection instead. 

Thank you for the information Rolig Loon I appreciate it. We do have wifi, and like you said even though our internet is broadband with a very high speed of 60 it is still wireless. So I am going to try plugging in directly..................Okay I plugged it directly and it is still doing it. I have no clue what it could be it worked good up until the update.

On to step two.....   I suggest taking a look at some of the more advanced methods in Nalates's blog at http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/  .  Also, consider adding the free Google DNS server to whatever your ISP provided when you set up your router.  Many SL residents find that they get a more stable connection through Google's DNS.  If your router is more than a couple of years old, you may even want to think of replacing it because the current generation of routers has features that make them more reliable than "older" equipment.  I saw a definite improvement when I replaced mine a year ago.

Okay I see, I will look into the router it is a few yrs old and I do have a new router I will try that one. Yes, I was talking about the maintenance that they did yesterday. Sorry I said update, when it was maintenance. But I am going to check out the suggestions that you have. It is weird if I move or pan out it blanks several timeous and it takes several minutes to stabalize.

But I will try what you said. :) 

1 minute ago, tbone19 said:

It is weird if I move or pan out it blanks several timeous and it takes several minutes to stabalize.

When you move your av or your camera, that information has to be passed from your viewer to the region servers so that they can update the information.  The servers then have to send back information to tell your graphics card what is in the camera's new field of view and to report any changes that have taken place within that field of view since the last time slice.  You can look at your ping time by opening the Statistics Bar (CTRL + Shift + 1).  That's a dynamic, time-averaged figure, so you'll see that the delay may bounce around a bit, but it should normally be below abut 100 msec if you are anywhere in North America (and not using a satellite connection).  As I said earlier, if the ping time is longer than that, it may take a while for the scene to update, or it may look jerky.  If you are also losing some data (the packet loss number in that same report), you may have other problems, including corrupted images.

2 minutes ago, tbone19 said:

Just jumped  to 1542

Anywhere from 200 to 3200!

Yep, those ping times are too long.  That will definitely cause issues.  I'd start trying things in the various links that Rolig posted to see if you can get that ping time down.

I would be missing a beat if I didn't ask whether the problem goes away when you go to a different region. I should have. It's not as common, but you can have connection issues if the region's servers are having trouble too.  Especially if other people are having the same problem, see if everything clears up when you go to someplace nice and quiet, like Smith or Pooley.  If so, ask to have Tombstone restarted.

Again, really appreciate your help and yes unfortunately it does the same in the quiet places too. I even switched to a new router. I guess I will have to look into the links that Rolig posted. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.