I'm new to sl

feyaQwinn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there, feya, and welcome to Second Life :)

If you're looking to make friends, one of the best things you can do is to fill out your inworld profile. Right now yours is completely blank, so anyone who looks at it knows absolutely nothing about you! People tend to strike up friendships around shared interests, or they might say hello to someone whose profile shows a great sense of humour, or anything like that. A blank profile is not very inviting to someone who might be looking for a friend.

Go to Me > Profile in your viewer and write something about yourself. Let people know what your interests are: do you want to explore SL, are you interested in SL fashion, or looking to go dancing at clubs, or try your hand at sailing, etc? Look at all the tabs. You don't have to put anything in the '1st life' tab if you're not comfortable with sharing real life info. You can also add 'picks' in your profile, for places you like to visit (some people also use these to talk about themselves or their friends, or just for quotes they like, etc).

Likewise, you're more likely to attract friends here on the forum if you tell us the same kind of thing. And, if you're not sure what you want to do in SL, list a few of your real life interests, and maybe people will have some suggestions for groups you can join and places you can go to find new friends.

• Like 4

Do follow Skell's excellent advice, Feya. A blank profile hints that you don't really want to make friends. You can access your profile by right-clicking your avatar in-world, or you can do it on the web by going to...

https://my.secondlife.com

Log-in, then click the "Edit Profile" button at the top of the page.

Hippie Bowman and friends host a Sunday morning breakfast at various places around SL, at 8AM SLT. Hippie usually announces that in the "Where are all my friends..." thread here...

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/32466-where-are-all-my-friends-come-on-in-and-lets-get-comfy-by-the-fire/

Click on the ">>" button at the top of the thread to go to the most current post, and do say "Hi"!

Don't be afraid to jump in and join conversations here or in-world. You might be ignored, it happens. To minimize the chance of that happening, lurk a little to get a feel for the tone and tenor and topic of the place. Read the profiles of people in the area to get background information on those you might end up greeting. Some profiles will tell you to stay away, some will invite you to introduce yourself. (Do you see why you need to fill our your own profile? ;-). If you do end up being ignored, don't be bothered by it. It can be hard to enter a new group, but it's usually worthwhile. Persistence pays off.

The forums are actually a great way to get started, they're easy to access and allow conversations to proceed around the clock. Many people who first meet here end up establishing friendships in-world.

Welcome to Second Life!

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.