Root prim control light feature of all prims in chain

Lexii Lane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 minutes ago, Lexii Lane said:

It seems to be projecting the lightsource properly on the walls, its just the shadowing that suffers. The lights stay on tho. I am in ultra.

Yeah, under defered rendering, which is with ALM on, the number of light sources is basically unlimited. They are much cheaper to compute than lights in a forward renderer, which is with ALM off. Even more effictive is it to use projectors, because the range of surfaces that receive light is much lower, than with non projectors.

Shadows are only supported by 2 projectors max at any given time, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

The number of active light sources isn't necessarily higher with ALM btw. With ALM the number depends on how busy the gpu is and sometimes it can be as low as just two.

My only problem with lights, and some other things is the broken interest list behavior of the viewer. Which can turn lights, as well as 100% Alpha on or off. It's pretty annoying. :S

Edited by arton Rotaru
Forgot the word "Alpha" in that sentence.
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lexii Lane said:

It seems to be projecting the lightsource properly on the walls, its just the shadowing that suffers. The lights stay on tho. I am in ultra.

Yes, it's shadows interacting with each other that are challenging for the gpu. Adding a little bit of brightness to a couple of spots on a flat surface is fairly easy.

That being said, in a setting like the one you describe, it might have been better to go for a completely different approach, no illumination at all and a texture chanegr for the wall switching between textures with and without the light spots baked onto it. Whether that solution would have worked or not, depends on the windlight you use.

6 hours ago, Rachel1206 said:

Wow, amazing mesh works and the lights are cool - well done Lexii. Is the Tardis accessible public?

Thanks, its actually a HandsofOmega Tardis, the Smith 50, that Ive done cosmetic modifications to. :D Glad you like!

On 5/23/2017 at 1:43 PM, Innula Zenovka said:

When first I got into scripting it was because I thought "How complicated can it be to make a door open and close?".  

People who remember what it was like before Void Singer shared with us the hinge method, and the Timeless Linked Door Script was the simplest available method, will know I mean.

I wasn't here for those times, but imagine a newbie to LSL trying to hinge a coffin lid... that was the day I learned how manually setting rotations when you don't know what a quaternion is can make head asploade. They... cascaded.......T_T;

*quivers and arm flaps on chest*

Edited by Berksey
  • Like 1

My big breakthrough with rotations came when I finally understood the advice I'd received from someone in SL  who taught mathematics at university level -- you don't need to understand quaternions in order to use them in scripts.   You just need to understand a few basic rules about how they work.    Once I grasped that, it suddenly became a lot easier.

• Like 1

On 23.5.2017 at 11:36 PM, Lexii Lane said:

Heres what you all helped me with

Lovely!

On 24.5.2017 at 0:08 AM, arton Rotaru said:

But....why Chris De Burgh? ^_^

Because!

ChinRey Resident starts humming "A Spaceman Came Travelling"

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.