Too high LI at uploading mesh - 332 verts, 12 Li, why?

Honey Icechant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone!

I want to upload a simple mesh rose (my first mesh plant) that has 332 verts, dimensions are aprox 0.3, has 2 UVs and 2 faces. This mesh would need a storng LOD, as it is meant to be multiplied (min. 12 pieces, plus leaves), and used as decor of another, bigger mesh. I have set the lowest LOD to 0, the rest Generated, psychics to lowest, and i can't get less than 12-13 Li, this is unacceptable. 

The 2 planes on the back of the rose are duplicated as i need them 2 sided.

I have uploaded mesh pillows with flowers before at 5-8k verts total and they ended up 1-2 Li with shadow prim linked to them, and good LOD. This one got me.. :(

Can you please help me with opinions, suggestions, what the problem can be? What am i doing wrong, whats else should i check?

mesh rose (1).png

mesh rose (2).png

mesh rose (3).png

There are three parts to land impact and what ends up being land impact. I suspect it is your physics costs. 

uploads.thumb.JPG.a9082d3fd7b0039378d42e802113943a.JPG

So look at that maybe.  If this is going to be small it also needs to be simpler.  There are lots of roses with low land impact around so taking a look at how some are made inworld and inspecting might be a good plan. Normally the texture would be the convincing part of the process.

Just waking up so that's all I have LOL.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
forgot screenshot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Honey Icechant said:

The 2 planes on the back of the rose are duplicated as i need them 2 sided.

The importers LOD generator can have serious trouble to crunch down such doublesided geometry. You will have to pay attention to the actual triangle count numbers shown in the importer. They may not match that what you have entered in the field. So your lower LODs might not be as low as you thought.

To fix that you may want to move the planes a tiny little bit apart from each other.
Or, create some lower LODs in Blender and load these into the slots. Plus a custom phyiscs shape.

Edited by arton Rotaru

Thank you arton, 

I don't understand what you mean by "They may not match that what you have entered in the field"

I uploaded bigger objects that were made with the same method, Duplicated and left in the same place, like this one: 

This curtain, as you see it its 5 LI total, with all parts linked. And i have other mesh objects uploaded same way, i never got so huge Li numbers as this new tinnyrose produces

joy.jpg

1 minute ago, Honey Icechant said:

I don't understand what you mean by "They may not match that what you have entered in the field"

Look at your 2nd screenshot of the importer in your post above. And note that the actual triangle count for the Medium to  Lowest LOD are all the same 284 triangles. The cause of this is the double sided geometry.

• Like 2

Problem is that first i picked a texture, then divided it in 3 parts, completing the missing areas by handpainting each, so i have 3 layers.3 textures, and then i made the mesh built around the texture. I do not want to give up on this texture, THIS is what i need. 
I inspected other plant maker's works and i came to the conclusion that this way would be ok to build it.

Edited by Honey Icechant

1 minute ago, Honey Icechant said:

how can i fix that?

Like I said, move the double sides just a hair apart from each other. You won't notice that in-world.

Or, you create lower LODs in Blender. You can either reduce the geo by hand, which is what I like to do, because of the control of the shape, or you run it through Blenders decimation function.

• Like 6

I SO missed the whole double sided aspect :D. Way too early to be thinking.

I have also seen this high triangle count that won't lower issue when using the wire frame modifier. Just throwing that out there :D.

And arton saves the day again! 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.