How to hear mic + music at the same time

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So my GF recently started playing SL and loves to sing and we tried a karaoke night last night but she could only do acapella through the mic setting on SL. Whereas the rest of them were singing through some program called "butt" which is using the address/port etc and you can hear their microphone and the music they are playing in the background through youtube or whatever on their PC. What programs do i need to do this? I know i used to let her hear what i hear through skype by setting my mic to stereo mix, but that was just what i hear, not my mic + what i hear. How do i get both of them to work?

Hope this isn't too confusing

Also some people have like an "echoey" sound to their mic, which is obviously through some sort of program. Any ideas on that also? I know this is the best to place as alot of you know what you are talking about xD hope you can help me out! I will love you forever

thank you :)

Edited by Adam123 Gearz

you can not use the voice feature to perform, it will sound like you'r torturing cats. (for some performers even that would be a improvement :) )

To bring a acceptable sound to sl you need broadcasting software to use a stream.

for example Sam or VDJ.

Those also often have soundeffects build in.

Edited by Alwin Alcott

10 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

you can not use the voice feature to perform, it will sound like you'r torturing cats. (for some performers even that would be a improvement :) )

To bring a acceptable sound to sl you need broadcasting software to use a stream.

for example Sam or VDJ.

Those also often have soundeffects build in.

Yes i know that, what im trying to do. Is sing, so you hear my voice AND play the instrumentals behind my voice, thats what i dont understand how to do

I just think im asking something really simple yet everyone is overthinking it. I know im not going to sing through the ingame voice, it would be joining the broadcast server and doing it that way. But im just trying to get my voice +++ audio in the background, not just my voice

Edited by Adam123 Gearz

1 hour ago, Adam123 Gearz said:

it would be joining the broadcast server and doing it that way. But im just trying to get my voice +++ audio in the background, not just my voice

as said.. you need a streaming software and stream..

not that difficult.... you only need a microphone to be connected to the same hardware /digital mixer/controller connected to your pc, and than broadcast

I think you need two things to do what you want:

1) Some kind of tool (like BUTT) that sends an audio stream from your girlfriend's PC up to a Shoutcast (or similar) streaming service, for redistribution to a collection of listeners.

2) Some kind of audio routing tool (like Jack Audio Connection Kit) that allows you to merge multiple sound sources on the PC (her mic and her music player) into a single source. You'd then connect that merged source to BUTT for distribution.

3 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I think you need two things to do what you want:

1) Some kind of tool (like BUTT) that sends an audio stream from your girlfriend's PC up to a Shoutcast (or similar) streaming service, for redistribution to a collection of listeners.

2) Some kind of audio routing tool (like Jack Audio Connection Kit) that allows you to merge multiple sound sources on the PC (her mic and her music player) into a single source. You'd then connect that merged source to BUTT for distribution.

Thank you for the detailed reply, i just have no clue on how to do any of it, is there any tutorials for step by step? D; sorry for being such a noob

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.