System requirements

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is this computer sufficient enough to run in SL ??

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Premium-Performance-Processor-Bluetooth/dp/B01LW0F62Q/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1492127878&sr=1-7&keywords=laptops+under+400

I am concerned about the video card and CPU.

I see this link, but not seeing where AMD Raedon video is listed.

https://secondlife.com/support/system-requirements/

thanks

That laptop uses an APU, which means that the CPU also includes an integrated graphics chip instead of a dedicated graphic card. 

It should be able to cope with basic requirements, if your expectations aren't high and you can't find anything better. 

Maybe check if the harddrive can be replaced by a SSD to speed up the whole system.

Edited by Lillith Hapmouche

Should be maybe OK for the screen resolution (~720p). But its really not a powerful APU at all. Its a decent CPU, competing with 4th gen mobile i7's, but the integrated graphics are nothing special.

The 553mhz mac R7 integrated GPU is on par with a GT 720m. Which is a very weak GPU.

I got some comparisons with my system to give you a bit of performance expectation. Im playing in 1366x768 (same as that laptop) on a Core2duo E6700, 3gb of DDR2 and a 1gb Gt 710. Im pretty limited graphically and im usually on Medium/low general settings with some of the fancier stuff like atmospheric shaders and bump mapping turned off. Though with those settings i still get over 60fps in most light places. Anything larger however can crash the game.

CPU Comparison

Screenshot_34.png.7a0ec554da83c51107aadf7a1b3f3066.png

GPU Comparison

Screenshot_35.png.030a7b9da63867a7904537507000c4eb.png

Youre weaker GPU wise than i am on my very budget machine. Though you do have a much more impressive CPU score.

And thats going to be a problem since my Gt 710 is just barely enough to run this game at an acceptable level in 720p. That weaker GPU is going to cause severe problems. Especially since it likely wont be running at the max 533mhz, knowing AMD its going to thermal throttle when it gets too hot and the clock speed will drop. 

You'd also be working on shared video memory and system memory instead of dedicated video memory, which can really impact the performance of the graphics because system memory is extremely slow in comparison.

So in my opinion, no. Do not buy this laptop if you intend to play SL. You'd be spending 400$ on something that will perform slightly worse than my 60$ crap-box of a computer. Save up a bit more money and get something more capable.

Check out some more modern machines, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAC884YN9642

is the Radeon R7 card that is in this laptop compatible with SL ?

I see the following are NOT compatible:   ATI cards that report as RAGE, RAGE PRO, or RADEON 320M, 340M, 345M, or similar model numbers

my guess is that it IS compatible before like to know before I make a decision.

It will be compatible, it just really wont perform that well at all.

The chips SL lists as incompatible are simply things too weak to run SL. For example, ATi RAGE graphical processors died off in the late 90's, the Radeon 345m came out in 2002.

But as i said previously, i would not buy that laptop if your goal is to play SL at a reasonable framerate, its not going to happen, its going to play like trash.

Modern Intel integrated graphics chipsets like 610, 620 and 520 would perform better than the integrated R7 in that APU on that laptop.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.