Help with textures, PLEASE!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2576 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm just starting to learn Photoshop, which is not easy to learn, but texturing seems even harder.

Im trying to find a tutorial to work on a Premade mesh, lets say this Keyhole is the Alpha layer I need to make a border/edge inside, 

cause that's my problem and sounds stupid, but I don't know how to make it.

Key 1 would be the image and the Key2 is the red inner border I would like to add the the alpha.

I made it manually just for the example,please don't laugh. 

I will really appreciate anything on how to do this "red border" in the white alpha, not sure you see the transparency of the keyhole

in this case.

key.jpg

alpha.png

There are lots of ways.  Try:

1. Create a new layer Under the one that you have your Key1 image on.

2. Make the Key1 layer active and Select Pixels

3. Select >>> Modify >>> 5 Pixels (or whatever looks right to you)

4. Make the new layer active.

5. Select >>> Inverse

6. Edit >>> Fill >>> Foreground Color  (assuming that you have a foreground color that's something other than black or white)

You should now have a new image like Key1 but smaller on the new layer, so:

7. Use your eraser to remove bits of the new image on the right side of the keyhole, leaving only the part that's red in your illustration here.

That's it. Because your new layer is under the Key1 layer, the only part that will show is the sliver that you illustrated in red here.

Rolig, thank you so much!

Now if the background is transparent instead of black?

And I have the keyhole image in white, need to delete the white, and make it alpha?

I first select the "white keyhole" and your steps 1-2-3-4 and after that?

So what is it you want to achieve actually? Making the keyhole just smaller? Or, want to show the edge of the keyhole in red? Or is the red color just a placeholder? Or do you want to inverse the alpha, where the keyhole will be transparent, and everything around it visible on the texture?

Sorry, that are a lot of questions, but your description is a bit confusing, at least to me.

2 hours ago, Barbie2Xo said:

Rolig, thank you so much!

Now if the background is transparent instead of black?

And I have the keyhole image in white, need to delete the white, and make it alpha?

I first select the "white keyhole" and your steps 1-2-3-4 and after that?

I'm joining Arton in confusion now.  I assumed that you wanted the final result to be a black texture with an alpha keyhole and a red "halo" on one side of the keyhole.   If so, all you need to do is make your alpha channel image from the shape of the keyhole minus the shape of the "halo".  Again, you have several possibilities.  Try:

1. Activate the Key1 Layer.

2. Use your Quick Select tool to select the black area.

3. Select  >>> Save Selection    (That creates a new alpha channel with the image of your selecte area.)

4. Activate the new layer that you made below it.

5. Select all pixels (That should select the area you created in the last post.)

6. Select >>> Save Selection , but this time when the little window opens check the button Add To and add the selected area to the Alpha 1 channel.

That ought to make an alpha channel image that is a composite of the pixels you selected on both layers.

Yes, ths color of the halo is any color.

This helps a lot, but I definately need a Photoshop clothing tutorial urgently.

If somebody knows about any, please let me know!

It's realy complicated to me and seems mandatory in SL. :/

I suggest visiting a local bookstore and examining the guides available there.  There are quite a few excellent ones,so I'm sure you can find one that matches your preferred style.  If you really are new to Photoshop, though, take the time to learn it right.  Don't just jump into a difficult project without spending some time to get the basics down.  You won't need to digest the entire manual.  Nobody knows all the magic tricks with a complicated program like Photoshop, but there's a fundamental subset of functions that every user should know about.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2576 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.