Very cool new SL signup page!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4824 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Deltango Vale wrote:

Very cool, but there is something confusing that has tricked me on other sites. Username implies a my-eyes-only account name (private) different from an avatar name (public). This made a mess of my first Blue Mars account, for example, where I ended up with an inworld name identical to the quick username I entered on signup. I had to delete the account and go back through the signup process again.

Therefore, instead of:

"Create a Username" and "You will use your username to login, so don't forget it"

The message should be:

"Create an Avatar name" and "You will use your avatar name to login, so don't forget it"

ETA:

I still don't understand why there is only one name space in which everyone must fight for a name. It makes far more sense to have two or even three spaces: forename surname or forename middlename surname. This would greatly increase the number of possible combinations, reducing the 'debbbbie123' problem.

This lack of clarity about user (private) name vs avatar (public) name is the gotcha that sticks in my craw. There is still nothing on this new signup page that warns you that the name you choose is not only your account name but also the name by which you will be addressed in world. So if you choose an account name of bananaslug12345, well congratulations, now you're bananaslug12345 Resident and good luck with that.

User name to me has always been something that i knew would be public and name for the account..

Private is what you are not using or displaying to everyone in whatever program or messenger you are in..

The TOS and Privacy policy are filled with information telling you that your user account name is public..

Why would they call it avatar name when it is a user name and account name?Avatars are not users and change just like display names do..but users remain the same person you are communicatiing with through the life span of the account..it's not your avatar name..it's your user name..

just about any communication program has your user name as your public communication name..:smileywink:

Wow, it is exceptionally easy now to sign up to Second life.  I did get an email, but didn't have to activate my new account first.  The welcome email contained links to Destination Guide, so there really is no excuse for anyone coming to the forums saying they don't know where to go next (but they will of course :smileytongue:)

I was surprised when I could register this account to my old/regular email address, because in the past when I've tried to make a new account, I got told that I'm up to my limit at that address.

Great choice of starter avatars on Viewer 2, but for me, not a good enough reason for using Viewer 2.

Marigoldspare with tits - not adult content.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4824 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.