Auto Wear HUD upon Wearing Attachment

EnCore Mayne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4763 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Rolig Loon wrote:

Try using
in the script you put the HUD.  You'll have to request PERMISSION_ATTACH in its
on_rez
event and then put the llAttachToAvatar function in the run_permissions event.   Specify the HUD attachment point and you're all set.

not sure that's what i'm looking to do. i want the attachment, a necklace in this instance, when it's worn it will also automatically attach a HUD. there shouldn't be any problem with permissions since it's tthe owner's object.

You put the HUD in the necklace.  The script in the necklace has an attach event that says llRezAtRoot("My_HUD".... etc.).

The HUD has a script that I described in my first post.  The owner wears the necklace and its script rezzes the HUD, and ITS script attaches it.  You have to request permission to attach an object with a script, or it won't attach, even though you are the owner

ETA:  If you want to avoid that business, then you need to create a dialog, which is what most people do, actually.

Rolig Loon wrote:

You put the HUD in the necklace.  The script in the necklace has an attach event that says llRezAtRoot("My_HUD".... etc.).

The HUD has a script that I described in my first post.  The owner wears the necklace and its script rezzes the HUD, and ITS script attaches it.  You have to request permission to attach an object with a script, or it won't attach, even though you are the owner

ETA:  If you want to avoid that business, then you need to create a dialog, which is what most people do, actually.

i've never actually seen an example of this yet! now that i know it can be done, i'll get to working on it. thanks Rolig. sounds easy, hahahaha. gulp. choke.

note that it will fail if the parcel doesn't allow the avatar to rez objects.

if permissions are not granted to the hud by the current owner before it's placed in the object, then the owner will probably have to deal with a permission dialog.

also if the hud is copiable they'll get a copy each time if  unless you limit it in the code

Void Singer wrote:

note that it will fail if the parcel doesn't allow the avatar to rez objects.

if permissions are not granted to the hud by the current owner before it's placed in the object, then the owner will probably have to deal with a permission dialog.

also if the hud is copiable they'll get a copy each time if  unless you limit it in the code

whoa, that sounds retarded. this is a major failing poiint for the concept. the HUD shouldn't be constricted to use on only buildable land. that just won't do. shouldn't attaching a HUD on your screen be allowed anywhere? it's not like it's being rezzed inworld.

EnCore Mayne wrote:

[...] it's not like it's being rezzed inworld.

heh, actually that is exactly what's happening... it's the only way for the script in the hud to run and ask to attach.

if it's for a personal item, no big deal... but yes, it's a major pain for commercial products... those pretty much tend to fall back to making the user attach them both

Void Singer wrote:

EnCore Mayne wrote:

[...] it's not like it's being rezzed inworld.

heh, actually that is exactly what's happening... it's the only way for the script in the hud to run and ask to attach.

if it's for a personal item, no big deal... but yes, it's a major pain for commercial products... those pretty much tend to fall back to making the user attach them both

Exactly.  That's why I said yesterday that "If you want to avoid that business, then you need to create a dialog, which is what most people do, actually."  You asked whether it was possible.  It is, and it's quite easy to do, but it's not a popular idea.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4763 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.