Any scripts that allow vehicles to fly, then not derezz when you stand up?

Sonya Bigboots

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I want to make a zeppelin, (or alternatively a spaceship, plane or boat).. Something I can rez, fly around but which will not just derez as soon as I stand up form the pilots seat and will allow me to wander around the zeppelin and talk to guests without the floor disappearing from beneath my feet.

Ideally it would derez when I logged out (I don't want to be a litter bug) but otherwise stay rezzed while I was onboard, and be compatible with mega prims.

Any public domain scripts or resources out there that could help?

I am really bad at scripting so I need some help on this folks.

4 answers to this question

I'd suggest that you start small, learn some scripting basics, practice your building skills on easier projects, and work up to making the project that you're dreaming of.  Even now, as I work on a large project I approach it in small steps, working on one aspect of the problem at a time and making adjustments as I go.  There are some good tutorials to get you started on scripting, and you should read the beginning tutorial on scripting vehicles.  I'd also suggest a visit in world to the Vehicle Laboratory at http://slurl.com/secondlife/Slate/192/86/2, where you can learn a lot about vehicle construction.  If you'd rather not build the project entirely yourself, of course, you can always work on some parts and advertize in  the Wanted section of the Commerce forums (http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Wanted/bd-p/Wanted) for professional assistance.

Good luck.  It does sound like an interesting project.  :smileyhappy:

• Like 1

Thanks Rolig, good general advice as always, but its the vehicle not derezzing when I stand up that is the key bit I need some help with. Maybe I should have stated the vehicle might be roaming the SL skies, and not just staying on my own land.

Is 'the vehicle not derezzing when you stand up and the vehicle is no longer on your own land' part of the vehicle script, or something done by another script?

I know it can be done, just not how.

It is unusual for a vehicle-script to delete the vehicle at all, let alone just because the owner isn't seated on it.  Are you trying to keep it in-world on a parcel for which you don't have rez rights or which has auto-return set?  If so, there isn't anything that a script can do to prevent the vehicle being deleted.

Well, you could certainly add a timer event to your vehicle script that uses llRequestAgentData([DATA_ONLINE]) to see whether you are still logged in. If it finds that you are not logged in, it kills the vehicle with llDie(). That would be fairly simple. The only thing that would make it hard would be if some parts of your vehicle were actually attachments that you wear as you sit down, instead of being parts of the vehicle itself. The attachments would simply stay attached to you as you log out, so that's not an issue. However, those attachments would move with you if you stood up in the vehicle. It would look very odd, to say the least.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.