Investment Companies

chevonn Edelmann

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4802 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would certainly say that I can agree with the commenter on the issue of whether the SL company is a true investment company.

Where I differ is the idea SL is not in effect real. US court cases, including ones involving Linden Research, state that no matter how virtual the environment may be, real claims that become disputes make it absolutely real.

The IRS determines SL to be a place where one must account for their trade dollars and net profits as taxable even if they are not cashed into USD. That's called a barter exchange environment. Lindens are Trade Dollars used for the express purpose of consumption and investment, so there's no disputing how real SL can become.

So the research necessary to determine whether the investment company has filed a registration in the US, has bylaws, a board of directors, and a real plan to invest money into SL companies. If you can't find that information, then you don't want to burn your money.

Thank you...

The problem with companies in SL or any kind of partnership in general is that there's usually no way to "sign" a contract. And prosecuting someone for any potential wrong doing can be problematic depending on where they live, be it in another state or another country.

You'd do better investing money in starting your own business, unless you know someone very well and know you can trust them implicitly.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

The problem with companies in SL or any kind of partnership in general is that there's usually no way to "sign" a contract. And prosecuting someone for any potential wrong doing can be problematic depending on where they live, be it in another state or another country.

You'd do better investing money in starting your own business, unless you know someone very well and know you can trust them implicitly.

...Dres

Right.

Getting a contract signed is only part of the issue.

The real issues are that people can disappear overnight and the amounts of money that change hands in SL are usually so small that to take someone to court is not worth the bother.

If you have a legitimate business proposition and live in the USA run it by me and we may be able to put something together.

Thanks,

Lizard Howl

Segarra Estates Owner

The SL Marketplace is an investment company.  You have an opportunity to bring your products to market at no cost -- then you can use your marketplace dollars to invest in your own in world opportunities.

If you cannot afford various elements for your creations then collaborate.  There are a lot of skilled creators willing to participate in good ideas.

If someone wants to get started in doing things the way I do them, I always help.

I do so because I know that it works the way I do it, and because I know it's ultimately to my advantage to form amicable relationships with potential competitors when possible.

It's worth noting that investment schemes inside SL are more or less banned after the collapse of the in-world banks a few years ago.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_Regarding_Inworld_Banks

Any advertised scheme which offers interest or a direct return on investment is likely to break that policy.  On the other hand, if you make a private arrangement with someone you feel you can trust, to invest in their business activities, that's probably ok, but LL will not help you out if the deal later turns sour or otherwise fails.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4802 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.