Anyone willing to train me on making clothes and/or other items?

EungiXseo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2643 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

I'm sure someone will be willing to teach you to use Blender/Maya and photoshop and how to rig.  I'd say the rate would be in the region of US$200 per hour, and will take around 100 hours, so say around US$20,000.  On top of that you'll need to buy/lease photoshop, and make sure your computer is up to spec for all of this.  Probably about US$23,000/L$5,750,000 will cover it all, depending on what you already have.  

Good luck

Pixieplumb's estimates may have a bit of uncertainty built into them, but she's right that getting someone to teach you wouldn't be cheap.  You can take a couple of alternative routes to your goal.  One route is to start taking classes at a local community or technical college, which will cost you less than private instruction.  You won't learn methods that are specifically aimed at Second Life, but you will know your way around Photoshop, Maya, and other tools of the industry much better that most creators here.  Some of the most talented designers and builders in SL have come along that path, and they make beautiful things.  I would guess that some also earn a fair living in RL with their skills.

The other route is to learn by yourself or by looking over the shoulders of other creators in SL.  That's the way most of us have learned. The downside is that it will take longer and may be frustrating.  Treating it as a hobby, though, makes it easier to justify the time and the (smaller) costs, and it lets you focus on creating the things that interest you most.  There are hundreds of tutorials on line, and you can take some free starter-level classes in world at places like Builders Brewery, and you can of course trade ideas and ask questions in the Creation forums. 

One short word about starting a business ....  don't expect to get rich.  Unless you are really good at what you produce, you'll have a hard time competing with the flock of very good creatiors in SL.  And if you are really good, you'll probably find that you could earn a lot more money doing the same sort of work in RL.  Most of us who run creative businesses in SL, therefore, do it because we are having fun.  It's a hobby, earning enough to pay for some in-world expenses maybe.  And it is fun.

• Like 1

There are many tutorial availabe on You Tube. Photoshop costs $9.95 a month to subscribe. Maya runs $185 a month. Blender is free and is adequate for many uses. 

I would suggest, before you charge in, taking some basic building classes from Builder's Brewery and Happy Hippo so you get an idea of what you're getting into. BB periodically offers an intro to Blender and does offer some very basic Maya classes as well and those are free.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2643 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.