Many year of DDOS and no improvements.How come you never managed to improve ddos mitigation ?

kerunix Flan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I owned up to 24 sims, i'm a sim owner since 10 years.

I'm closing my last 3 sims in the next few weeks.

How come you never managed to mitigate DDOS ? there are many technical solution. (i work in a datacenter as sysadmin & DBA ...)

AR doesn't works, griefer create hundreds of alt, have different IP address, then can easily get the IP address of the sim and DDOS it from a safe heaven. The main griefers are well known, have been reported countless times. They're still here, running their own sim paid by their extorsion business and harasment. 

edit : somehow i can't reply to the reply. Well... WHAT A VERY LINDEN-ISH DENIAL/ANSWER !! 

1) yes i did some AR

2) But most of the time it was done by my estate admins

3) sometimes i contacted concierge instead of AR.

edit edit (my last edit because it's silly) : 

1) yes, first and last post here, it's my public "drop the mic" after spending tens of thousands of dollars in 10 year running (including running community gateway, being a sl helper, a sl mentor, ...). I'm obvsiouly giving up. 

2) i know you're not LL, i wrote "linden-ish" because it's the usual non-answer even to well formed AR and concierge discussion. The kind of "let's all take this as an open-action item, and come back with suggestions next meeting." answer that's not going anywhere.

3) so now this is my fault ? woaaa.

You can't do anything, support can't do anything, concierge can't do anything, nobody can do anything so let's just let the issue die by itself. Linden Lab should know better than me who, why, how, when a sim crashed. 

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

"We" are not Linden Lab. This forum is only monitored by the community. So, to say that "you" did nothing about DDOS, etc. is plain ignorant. Also, I see this is your first post.  So, you have not even asked about your problem in the public forum before (at least under this account).

The Answers forum is manned by volunteers.  We're residents just like you, so your rant will not reach any Linden ears, sorry.

One of the "features" of this forum is that the OP can't reply to his own question.  So you have to do as you did, and edit your original post.  Sorry about that, it's another thing that we can't do anything about.

Your use of the term "DDOS" is incorrect.  That is a "distributed denial of service" attack conducted against a website by flooding it with malicious data from many sources.  What you are experiencing is "griefing".

All you can do about griefers is just what you have been doing:  Abuse Report them.  Abuse Report their alts.  Abuse Report each and every time they attack.  Be sure and reference previous reports, too.

But all of that is of no interest to you, since you're closing your sims.

Can I haz your Stuff? :matte-motes-kiss:

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.