Local shows friend logging out...but not in.....how?

KyleWForrester

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Ok so this is an odd one..... a good friend of Mine hasn't been online since the 9th due to her laptop overheating. On the 11th,  I got a notification in local chat of her logging out, yet.....there was never anyt notification saying she had logged in.

In addition, when she logged on the 9th, I could see when she was online, I could see where she was on the map, and I could edit her stuff. Now, I can't see where she is on the map. ALL the groups that we're both in though, show that she hasn't been on since the 9th

This is the 2nd time this has happened and it seems REALLY odd...any ideas on what could be causing this?

6 answers to this question

Aha! That's different. I assumed from the way you phrased the question that her laptop had overheated and caused her to crash. If that's not what happened, then the behavior is truly peculiar. It's still tempting to blame it on the servers, because quite a lot of people have been having login issues since Monday. I have crashed dramatically three times myself, and I hardly ever crash these days. Blaming it on the servers, though, is really no more convincing than saying that it was voodoo or gremlins. If you hadn't also said that group info showed her last login on the 9th, I would be worried that someone had stolen her login password. That seems unlikely, though. So, I agree with you. It's a puzzle.

If you crash (as opposed to disconnecting) it usually takes the Lab's servers a while to recognzie that they have lost the connection to your viewer.  At that point, they should start the normal logout sequence.  If you've taken a particularly bad fall, though, it can take quite a while for the servers to locate you, retract all your capabilities, and actually complete the logout.  That's why you'll usually get a warning message if you try to re-enter SL too soon after you crash, a message that says something like "Region has begun logout procedure, unable to log in until xxx.xxx". 

The wait in your friend's case seems much longer than usual, but I suspect that's exactly what happened.   Remember that the Lab had their own server issues on the 9th too, so many SL residents were locked out for much of that day. As far as the servers were concerned, she was still logged in, even though she had crashed.  When the servers finally resolved her status, they sent a message saying that she had logged out. 

• Like 2

no that's the thing.....the ENTIRE time I was online....NOT once did she come ONLINE. I checked the entire local chat log, and the ONLY time her name showed up, is when I was adding her to stuff, and when the message saying she logged out showed up.

When she was online on the 9th, I SAW her logout.her avi poofed and then the offline message showed up in local.

she hasn't been online since. She hasn't been ABLE to get online due to laptop issues..

On the 11th when I saw that message, nowhere in local (all day) was there a message about her logging in) nor did it show that she'd been online that day in any of the groups we were in....

IF you login to SL, it'll show that day as your status in groups. hers still showed the 9th

Yes, you saw her poof, so you know that she was no longer around. Some part of the server protocol also recognized that she was gone, too, so it sent the popup message. As far as the rest of the system was concerned, though, she was still in world until you finally saw that the servers had logged her out by the 11th. The only part of the scenario that is unusual is the length of time that it took the system to resolve her logout status. It may be coincidence, but the SL servers were in a mess on Monday --- see https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Tools-and-Technology/Someone-had-a-case-of-the-Mondays/ba-p/3094252 -- so many people were having login issues. I might guess that her status was fouled up by that as well as by her own crash.

• Like 1

Kyle,

Each and everything you do is routed through [a transaction via ] the server your avatar account is currently rezzed on. I've been on some horribly performing [aka messed up] regions in my time and I am continuously amazed at the in-flight transactions that complete after i log out and in some case days later after the affected region is itself restarted to address the performance issues.

So what you are experiencing is most likely delayed SL status transaction that was generated on her behalf too all her friends finally arriving to your attention.

The late friend logout message was probably delayed because of an issue on the server she was rezzed on and it took until the time that region to be restarted and the pending queue of low priority transactions to be cleared out.

she never crashed. she logged out on the 9th (and it showed it in local), and I logged out shortly after, and we spent the rest of the evening playing Archage. Next day her computer decided it didn't want to cooperate (hardware issues) and she wasn't able to get on. ON the 11th, she still wasn't able to get on, yet it showed her logging out at around 4:22SLT.

In addition, it was set so i could no longer locate her on the map. This happened once before a couple weeks or so ago. chat showed her logging out when she hadn't been online all day and I wasn't able to locate her on the map...

I don't think this is connected to the server issues, monday...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.