Log settings disabled, conversation.log not updating.

Prodigal Maeterlinck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2721 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

All Preferences pertaining to transcripts are grayed out and uninteractive, every single one, though the user settings files all show them going to the correct Roaming/ path, and I can edit it to save to a new path. 

IM and Group logs are saved correctly but conversation.log is always blank.The transcript button in the Conversations pane only displays an empty log, even while I'm openly chatting. conversation.log actually is updating; it did so while I was viewing it in Notepad++; but updates only replace nothing with functionally identical nothing.

The broken interface support I can work around, but the failure of chat logging concerns me.

FOLLOW-UP: I used FS primarily, but had the same problem on the SL viewer. Neither were creating the chat.txt file in their user directories. But the Preferences for 'Log and Transcripts' have inexplicably become functional so I was able to check 'Save nearby transcripts' and create the chat file. I have no idea why; there hasn't been a client update since the problems mentioned above, but now all logging and transcripts Preferences work. 

I hesitate to call this solved as the issue appears to have been resolved without my understanding of how, so there's still no answer that others might find applicable. 

2 answers to this question

With only 8 posts we assume you are using the Linden made SL Viewer. But, that viewer places nearby chat in the file: 

C:\Users\[Windows_Login_ID]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\[avatar_name]\chat.txt

Private IM conversations go to the same folder and the log files have a group or avatar name, depending on who you are talking to.

Firestorm does create a conversation.txt file in the same folder, which is probably a bug. It does update each time you login into SL. But, the actual logs are in:

C:\Users\[Windows_Login_ID]\AppData\Roaming\Firestorm_x64\[avatar_name]\chat.txt

It really helps if you use the viewer's HELP->ABOUT... to collect the computer and viewer information and paste it in with your questions.

Presumably you are only using the main SL or FS viewer. If you are using RC's... it shouldn't be different, but there are more possibilities for problems.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2721 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.