Viewer 2 crashes and freezes my computer when I log on to the Main Grid

Juniper Ellisson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

It sounds as if something you did with the Debug Settings has screwed up your client, but I don't have a clue what it was. If it were my own machine, I'd be inclined to save the trouble of finding out by cleaning things out and reinstalling SL from scratch. 

• Like 1

You would think they'd include an uninstaller...

I had the same problem; I deleted the cache too, as well as application support and two .plist files. I suspect the cache would have been enough but what the hell. I kept the graphics at high though

Seems to be working so far, haven't seen the technicolor pizza yet.

Every now and then SL has like? a kind of 'mood' where it crashes my computer on login aswell, sometimes it takes me 8 tried to finally log. I have tried Clearing cache, tinkering with the bandwidth, setting graphics to low, and even tried a complete clean reinstall of SL, hell.. i even tried reinstalling my driver's. Its not just the 2.0 viewer but also third party viewers i have the problem with. Just like Juniper i can log into the beta grid's fine its just the main grid that's been giving me grief.

I am running win 7 ultimate, Intel i5 quad core, 4 GB ram and a ATI radeon 5850 black edition 1GB

I have had exactly the same problem :( only started yesterday with me too. running second life then after about 15 to 20 minutes my whole pc freezes up and I have to switch it off as I am unable to do anything even shut down.  pressing ctrl /alt /del doesn't bring up the task manager.  My pc is more than capable of running second life, and I have been playing it for years with no problem, until yesterday.  nothing else on my computer freezes it so it must be SL. is it a bug?

My computer seems to be doing the exact same thing.. Only, when i go into normally populated sims, like RP sims and what not, my whole computer freezes, and i have to restart my entire computer.  Nothing else is making my computer freeze. Only when i am on SL. >:[

I honestly think there is a bug that is making this happen.  I try and use firebird, and it frezzes as well. Infact, all the viewers that i've been using freeze my computer.  Switching viewers is useless for me.  I even cleared my cache, uninstalled Phoenix and all the other viewers [just to see if it was all the viewers i had installed doing the problem] and reinstalled only phoenix, because god knows Fire bird and other v2 viewers make me claustrophobic.  It seems i can only be in a completely empty sim in order to NOT freeze. LL needs to fix something in their viewers, because this is just rediculous.

It happened again. I'm now convinced it's the anti-aliasing: deactivating it solves the problem. As soon as it is activated, the freezes happen again. I would leave it off but the prefs keep getting reset every time I update the viewer – incidentally, would it be possible to quit doing that? It's annoying, I have to recheck all the "don't show this message again" boxes all over again, sort of defeats the purpose.

Mac Pro 2 X 2.66 dual core on Leopard, 9 gigs of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.