Why do resis like realism so much?

Kate Amdahl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2914 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

wherorangi wrote:

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

Kate Amdahl wrote:

Because it's short and friendly. Why, apart from formal communications, 
wouldn't
someone say "resis"? Too colloquial? Too cute?

What does it mean?

it means that you dont have any dent in you

jejejjee (:

I read it as "recess" and wondered why monkeys would care about realism.

Kate Amdahl wrote:

In another discussion, Vanilla Sunsets said this:

"Back when SL started the residents wanted their world to be as different for RL as it could be. Remember we all had fantastic pink and purple prim hair...? We created things that were literally out of this world (all we had were basic prims). The possibilities were endless! Today we want SL to be a very realistic world, as much as RL as it can be."

What do you think about that? Have we gotten more realistic? If so, why? Were the early days of Second Life populated more by cutitng-edge experimental people? Or did we always want as much realism as possible and are just grabbing it as technologies like Windlight and mesh and so on made it more possible?

The Lindens always seem to have imagined that Second Life was for wild experimentation with reality, but most resis I meet -- including me! -- seem more interested in mostly-realistic experiences: houses and beaches, surfing, sailing, vehicles, dance clubs, beautiful clothes, flirting, socializing, sex, conversation, and all the rest. Many of our houses have bathrooms and kitchens, for instance, which are not really useful in Second Life except for role play and to provide a little variety in our environments.

Yes, the majority of remaining residents seem to want to replicate RL in real life, from the furniture and houses and clothes and decor they purchase, along with all the annoying taxes, fees, levies, cover charges, and mostly rules from RL as well.

I would suspect that it is is just easier for mesh creators to model from RL reference, and upload it into SL, because it's what people want - and their sales reflect that. So instead of coming up with innovative designs, from concept to uploading, they play it safe and just stick to that.

It's always been that way though, popular art sells to the masses - 'popular' being quite subjective, because what people like and what people 'own' (that gains them status in their peer's eyes), are largely crammed down their throat and their brains washed by aggressive marketing.

For myself, I may model items from real life for practice, and to learn and hone skills from completing the challenges, but the process is very boring to me. I'm more excited about sketching or concepting an original piece, modeling and texturing and scripting it, then basically 3D-tracing an existing RL item. Sometimes I'm not up to the task, since originality requires a higher set of skills in things from handpainting, texturing and advanced modeling, lighting and materials but I'll get there.

Each to their own though, but yes, the focus on realism and importing RL attitudes into SL are certainly more popular than they were 10 years ago.

I also find SL much more antisocial than 10 years ago to, with the frequency of bans and kicks quite high. I guess people don't like a tiny Meerkat in a tophat and tie sitting down on their patio furniture and smoking a cigar - that's just too much griefing to take. Let's report him and cry to LL for changes to keep such atrocious behaviour out of SL.

VanillaSunsets wrote:

I am also very curious as I toyed with the idea of the parallels between SL and RL, human behaviour and what ppl do when they can build a "reality". What do ppl do when there are no limits. Looking at SL I am starting to think that ppl need those limits, if not provided by others, authorities or for some ppl a God... we create our own limits and are back where we started. trying to escape all these limits. This all sounds very heavy and deep but it also goes for how we look, what we want to look at, how we create our environment, houses and nature in SL. 

I believe many just want to replicate in SL what they don't own or attain in RL, long before fantasy comes to play.

For myself I am not a materialistic person, so I'm not much of a customer for chairs, couches, houses and suits.

entity0x wrote:

I also find SL much more antisocial than 10 years ago to, with the frequency of bans and kicks quite high. I guess people don't like a tiny Meerkat in a tophat and tie sitting down on their patio furniture and smoking a cigar - that's just too much griefing to take. Let's report him and cry to LL for changes to keep such atrocious behaviour out of SL.

I disagree that SL is much more antisocial than 10 years ago.  When you approach others with respect and have something interesting to say you can easily start a conversation, unless they are busy talking to someone else in IM.  Then you can't expect a response because you are interrupting.  Just be patient until they are finished and if they take too long, move on.

As far as your Meerkat sitting on someone's furniture, this has more to do with you invading private homes without being invited and probably what you say to them.  Use another avatar and do the same thing and you are most likely to get the same result.  If you came into my house without being invited I'd kick you out and probably ban you too after asking you to leave. If you were a newb I'd be friendlier and I'd explain about private property and not invading people's privacy.  Depending on their response I may talk to them a while.  If they don't leave on their own eventually I'll boot them out too.  If someone I don't know comes to my door and respectfully asks if it's all right to come in, I'll let them if I'm not too busy, otherwise I'd tell them politely it's not a good time but they can come back when I'm not busy.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2914 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.