png looks different rezzed vs worn

hhefestos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I´m using a png texture for a skirt. I´ve read about the png over png issue. But the strange thing is that this happens only when I wear the skirt, but when I rez it on ground it looks fine. Any idea? thanks

I just tried with tga but with same results.

Worn

Rezzed

• 4 months later...

Sorry for askign again, but this issue is really giving me a headache. I´ve read every post about similar issues but none adress this particular one. At least not that I can understand.

Is a fitted mesh object, with a png texture. I tried setting the sl texture "alpha mode" in "masking" but the alpha actually dissapears. So i´m forced to set it in "blending"

As you can see I´m using the basic SL avatar, so no textures below the hair png.

When I rez the hair on ground it looks fine

But when I wear it, it seems like the overlapping faces of the hair conflict with each other

Any clue? Help will be really appreciated

Really interesting pictures but first:

hhefestos wrote:

Is a fitted mesh object, with a png texture.

I'm not sure if that was clear from the replies you got earlier but this has nthing to do with png as such. It's a problem with textures using transparency and what format they've been uploaded in has no significance.

hhefestos wrote:

I tried setting the sl texture "alpha mode" in "masking" but the alpha actually dissapears. So i´m forced to set it in "blending"

Not sure if you understand the difference between alpha masking and alpha blending.

With alpha blending each pixel in the texture can have one of 256 levels of transparency, ranging from 0 (completely transparent) to 255 (completely opaque).

With alpha masking each pixel is either completely transparent or opaque. Since all alpha textures use bledning as default, you need to set the threshold where transparency is switched on or off. By default that threshold is set to 0 which means the whole texture will be opaque.

hhefestos wrote:

When I rez the hair on ground it looks fine

But when I wear it, it seems like the overlapping faces of the hair conflict with each other

As I said, really interesting. It's fairly easy to explain why you get alpha bleeding but harder to tell why there's a difference between the rezzed and the worn hair. I do have a theory ot two though: When two surfaces with alpha testures overlap, the viewer has to decide which one is the closest. That calculation is based not on how far away the surface is but how far away the center of the object is (and in this context each part of a linkset counts as a separate object) so it can easily go wrong.

One possible explanation for the difference in the two images is that a minute shift in viewing angle changed the relative distance of the different locks.

Another possbile - but not very plausible - explanation is that when an object is worn distance from the avatar center is also included in the calculation. I've never heard of anything suggesting that before and I can't see any reason for it but this is SL after all... ;)

I assume the reason why the avatar's ear shows up is that the hair is so narrow its sides are hidden inside the head.

If you study a well made SL hair, you will notice that the makers has tried to avoid overlapping alphas whenever possible. Most of the hair wil be textured with a regular non-transparent texture. Only the outermost locks will have transparency and the maker will have spent qwuite a bit of time and effort trying to keep them from overlapping.

• Like 1

That bad effect on the worn hair is caused by wearing a large size system hairbase using alpha in the texture.

Edit the hairbase or make a new system hairbase that fits sngugly to your head or if you just need a baldy base, make the hairbase size so small that it's hidden inside the avatar head.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.