my account was hacked

Escape Snowbear

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2865 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

i have had to change my PW today because i couldn't get in my account,, i bought 20$ worth of lindens a few days ago and my BF gave me 1500 so my account had more than 7,000 lindens friday today is sunday ,,  some one has them i didn't come in untill late saturday and noticed they were missing ,, ,is this game unsafe if so i want my money returned and i will find another game to enjoy .escape snowbear

2 answers to this question

it is very unlikely your account is hacked. Most common cause is you clicked a malicious link and gave your login info away.

You have to report this a.s.a.p  to LL

What to do if your account is compromised

Your account may have been compromised if:

• You can't access your account.
  • You suddenly notice a reduced available balance on the payment source you have on file.

If this happens, contact us immediately!

Here's what to do:

1. Go to the Second LIfe Help page and log in if you can. If you can't access your account, use the Forgot your login information? link on the right to recover your username and reset your password. Then log in.
  2. On the Second LIfe Help page page, click the Contact Support link on the right.
  3. On the next page, click Submit a a Support Case form.
  4. Under What type of problem are you having?, select Account Issue. A second dropdown appears.
  5. Under Account Issue, select I believe my account has been compromised.
  6. Fill in the rest of the fields as directed.
  7. Click Submit.
  8. Check your email for your case number.
  9. Call our fraud number: 800-860-6990.

Once you do this, Linden Lab will place your account on hold and investigate the relevant transactions. This may take a few days. Once we have concluded the investigation, we'll send you an email explaining our conclusion and the action we will take. Note that all transactions involving Linden dollars are subject to Linden Lab's Terms of Service.

• Like 4

No, it wasn't. 

Most likely, it was user error. There are three major ways people gain access to your account, and all three are a combination of mean people doing mean things, and a too-trusting player.

1) You followed a link that asked for your login information, and you gave it. Don't. IF you choose to follow a link, make absolutely sure the website you wind up at is legit before you input your account information. The official SL website is secondlife.com. The official marketplace website is marketplace.secondlife.com. 

2) You shared your login information with someone you trusted, and they accessed your account without permission. Don't share your login information. It's against the ToS, for one; and if you do, LL will not help you.

3) You rezzed an object inworld that asked permission to debit your account, and you gave it. Don't accept objects from people you don't know, and don't give permission for objects to debit your account. 

In short, SL is as safe as you make it.

To find out where your money has gone, go to your dashboard > Account > L$ Transaction History. Adjust the starting date to a couple of days ago, and see where your money went. 

(Do that AFTER following the excellent advice you've been given already. If possible, also change the email associated with your account, as well as the password.)

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2865 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.