Many many many questions

VxlXLilithXlxV

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have been playing for not even a day and I'm just totally lost. I tried the guides but this whole site and game are just confusing way too many buttons they need to make it simple due to not many people even know how to travel to another world. I know how to travel to places and stuff but you can never try a product out without buying it first. Like most games no one is friendly nor wants to be friends of course I understand you can't just ask people to be your friend though making friends is just hard. Also why did they gave an option to make stuff free, literally every thing that is free is a demo or some **bleep** thing that forces you to advertise for the **bleep** creator who made the product that forces you to advertise when wearing the product made by him. I have so many questions it would help even more if someone just showed me the ropes and was there if I had any other questions

2 answers to this question

Oh, my.  Welcome to Second Life.

Yes, there are many things to learn, and they keep changing.  I have been here most of ten years now, and the place barely resembles what it was when I entered.  Depending on how much time you want to spend in SL, there can be a greatt deal to learn.  Fortunately, though, it doesn't take much to get the basics down.

The best way to learn is probably to follow the self-directed tutorials at Caledon Oxbridge University. You can get there very easily by clicking the MAP icon at the bottom of your screen and then typing "Caledon" into the search field of the map. Click "Find" and you'll get a list of several Caledon regions.  Pick the obvious one and click "Teleport".  You can work through the tutorials at any speed you like.  You'll often find that there is someone there to answer questions, too, if you get stuck.

Don;t worry too much about getting things "wrong".  We've all been there.  And there are no rules about how to "play" here either.  There's no goal, no points to earn, no levels to achieve, no flag to capture or monsters to slay.  Explore and experiment to find places and things that capture your fancy.  You'll make friends along the way, but be comfortable exploring on your own a lot too.  You'll find your own way in SL before you know it.

Come back here if you have specific questions.

• Like 1

Yes, there are a lot of buttons.  Sorry about that!  

Second Life is not simple.  It's what software creators like to call "rich" and "deep".  That means that it has a LOT of features, and because of that, it's complex.  There are simpler virtual worlds, but they don't offer nearly as many choices as SL does.

Yes, you can try products out without buying them.  For example, Second Life itself is free to play!  You can spend money on it, by getting a Premium membership, by buying virtual land, or by shopping for things created by other residents...but you don't have to spend a penny to have fun!  Also, lots of things for sale in SL have free demos, so you can try them before you buy.  Besides the demos, though, there are whole stores that "sell" nothing BUT free items.  Check out The Free Dove, or the shopping area at New Resident Island.  To find other freebie stores, use Search, Places, and enter "freebies" as a search term.

Making friends isn't hard, but it's not as simple as just sending a Friends request.  Talk to people!  Ask them where they got those great shoes they're wearing, or ask if they can tell you a couple of good clubs to check out.  After you've chatted for a while, if it seems that they're nice and you have some things in common, ask, "May I add you?"  If they say yes, send them a Friends request.

Another way to find people to be friends with is to join groups.  Use the Search function to find groups whose purpose is something you like...whether that's stamp collecting or bargain hunting or Harley Davidson motorcycles.  Join the group, and you'll meet people who share your interests.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.