how do I set waypoints

Grizzly Nightfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2880 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

Hi Grizzly,

I'll presume you're asking how to create a list of waypoints for use with the LSL pathfinding function llPatrolPoints(). If you don't have a lot of waypoints in mind, you could simply walk around the sim and copy your position from the address bar into your script. If you click in the address bar, you'll be shown the SLURL for your current position. At the end of the SLURL, you'll see a set of three numbers separated by "\". Those are the XYZ coordinates you'll want in your list, but you'll need to change them to the form <x,y,z>.

You could also craft a script and drop it in an attachment you wear. You could touch the attachment or issues a chat command to cause it to say the XYZ coordinates, or append them to a list. You could save that list to a notecard, or say it at the end of the path and then copy/paste it into your llPatrolPoint() script.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's already a script out there somewhere that does waypoint collection. Someone else may know where to find such a thing.

If this is not what you had in mind, come back to your question and edit it (via "Options" over there on the right) to tell us more.

Good luck!

• Like 3

Just to add to Maddy's excellent answer .... If you weren't thinking about waypoints for pathfinding, all bets are off. Every script that I have ever written that requires waypoints does the job a little differently than the last one.  The number, ordering method, and types on information you might need to store in waypoints depends on context.  If you're using llKeyframedMotion, for example, a waypoint will need to include information about the object's intended rotation and travel time as well as where you want it to end up. I have scripted objects that need to play a different sound at each waypoint and ones that have to give the moving object information about what's on the other side of a region boundary. I've set waypoints by hard-coding them into a script, by reading them in from a notecard, by saving them in objects along the path, and by generating them randomly as the object moves.  Without knowing the context, therefore, it's very hard to guess the correct answer to your question.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2880 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.