is there a way?

MacieLu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ok so i wanna know if theres a way to fix a bake issue on blender 2.76. i got this installed and created a shirt then when i baked it my mouse turned into a black box and i had to wait for more than an hour but the result was it crashing. this happens everytime, i had uninstalled it then installed it but still... is there a way to fix this?

Yeah, how many triangles is a good question. As is... how powerful is your PC, and what type of texture are you baking?

I did an AO map yesterday, at just 40 (correction, 50) ray samples in the raytrace option, and at 4096x4096 pixels. Took about 40 minutes with my CPU pegged at 100% all the time. Fans all went up to full speed. That's a quad-core i7 at 3.7GHz with 16GB RAM and an nVidia GTX970. System was mostly unrepsonsive to the mouse etc for all that time.

It could be one or more things. It is VERY UNLIKELY it is Blender itself.

• You computer isn't hefty enough to run Blender well (if you are baking with textures as in Cycles Render it really DOES take a lot of computing power).

• Your mesh is too heavy (dense - too many tris etc.).

• You are baking at too high a resolution. 

I typically bake to a 1024 texture at 250 to 300 resolution. That is plenty IMHO to get the details you want.  I have tried higher resolutions for smallish objects (and yes housing builds also) and while there is a slightly better final product (as in baking to a 2048 instead of a 1024 and then resizing) not everyone will even be able to see it LOL.

I suggest baking at a lower resolution (I test at 20 - again this is in Cycles) and go from there.   Also if you have objects in the scene that are not important to your bake, putting them on another layer (or deleting of course) will help with your speed.

I have NEVER had my mouse freeze when baking. I typically read the forums or work in world. I also usually have two avatars online at ultra. A typical bake for a medium complex object at 1024 x 300 will take about 10 minutes. This with a variety of materials all baked to one texture.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz (3298.08 MHz)
Memory: 16286 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 10586)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 980/PCIe/SSE2

• Like 1

Hmmm... I probably go over the top when I do things.

The other day I  spent an hour moving a bunch of vertices that weren't quite symmetrical with the other side. Not that I could tell in the slightest in-world, but I just didn't feel comfortable until I had 'fixed' it. Yeah, waste of time, but it keeps me off the streets :D

Blender might by running low on memory (how much do you have?) A 32-bit OS can only access 3.5GB (assuming Windows) normally, and if you are still on 32-bit I guess it's an older PC with possibly low memory.

The model I baked was about 30,000 triangles, 13,000 vertices. Note that there is a limit of 65536 vertices in a single object to import to SL. I accidentally imported a model with more than that the other day and it causes very odd things to the material faces!

It sounds like your PC is just not up to the task though - the specifications would confirm that (or not).

"Note that there is a limit of 65536 vertices in a single object to import to SL"

Although it says so in the wiki, this is actually untrue, as you found with your imported object. This is because the test for 64k vertices, although there in the code, is never reached because the 21844 triangle limit is always reached first. It's the triangle limit that causes the strange texturing effects, by creating "secret" materials, and allows the bypassing of the 64k vertex limit. Also, both limits apply per material, not per object.

MacieLu wrote:

oh so thats why. well time to change pc ^^.

As Drongle already said, that won't help if you're making a mesh for Second Life. It is not possible import a mesh with 66000 triangles into SL.

You can split it up into sveeral meshes of course but think of the lag. If Blender has problems rendering that single object in a timely fashion, imagine what'll happen when ti ahs to share the computer resources with hundreds or even thousands of other items in a complex scene.

It's hard to define how many polys an item can safely have since it depends on so many factors. But as a very general rule, the moment you go over 1000, you better make sure you know exactly what you're doing.

Yeah, thanks. I actually just read your post in the 'textures won't stick' thread about that, too. Now I understand why the uploader didn't whinge about 'too many vertices'.

There's always something new to learn here... my folder of mesh-making notes (often taken by saving a page or two from here)  is growing daily.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.