Complete noob needs advice on buying and wearing high heels

HollyCarruthers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2929 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I bought some pretty high heels but when I wear them it appeas that my feet float above the shoes rather than fitting within them. Worse, my feet appear to have white socks on them.

When I read posts on the subject they all assume some level of knowledge about various SL gaming aspects. I have NO previous knowledge of operating in SL. My experience is with Sims 3.

All the information I can offer is that I began with a Classic Avatar (I believe it was Kimberly). Can anyone explain -- at the kindergardten level -- how to buy and wear high heeled shoes for women? Thanks!

PS -  I purchased :)(: Lady Pumps - Black & White by PixelFashion Product.

HollyCarruthers wrote:

Hi,

I bought some pretty high heels but when I wear them it appeas that my feet float above the shoes rather than fitting within them. Worse, my feet appear to have white socks on them.

When I read posts on the subject they all assume some level of knowledge about various SL gaming aspects. I have NO previous knowledge of operating in SL. My experience is with Sims 3.

All the information I can offer is that I began with a Classic Avatar (I believe it was Kimberly). Can anyone explain -- at the kindergardten level -- how to buy and wear high heeled shoes for women? Thanks!

PS -  I purchased 
:)
(: Lady Pumps - Black & White by PixelFashion Product.

Those are shoes for mesh feet. If you don't have Slink compatible mesh feet, they won't fit.

eta: apologies for the very brief reply, but it was late and I didn't have time for more detail. 

Kimberley ( as I remember) has what are called system feet, and there are shoes made for these feet. In the folder with these shoes is a shoebase (the white sock thingy you can see) and a alpha layer which hides the parts of the shoebase necessary to get a good fit. So you wear them altogether

the other type of shoes are made to fit mesh feet (typically we have to buy these feet). A example are Slink feet. There are others as well. In the folder with mesh feet is also a shoebase and a alpha layer. Which we wear altogether, so that the feet when bare look great. Mesh shoes well-made exclusively for the mesh feet type will fit perfectly over these feet

when buying shoes we need to be sure that we buy the right type of shoe for the feet we are wearing. Get demoes before buying anything

+

about the up and down. This happens when the height of our avatar is different to the height of the shoe makers avatar. So we have to reposition the shoes sometimes to fit our own self

to do this:

a) if you don't already have one. Search on Marketplace for a POSE STAND. Is a number of free ones you can get

b) Rez the pose stand on the ground and then right-click Sit/Pose on it. This will pose your avatar in a fixed position, holding your avatar still

c) then right-click on the shoes and Edit. On the Edit dialog are Move and Rotate options. Choose the option and we get green/red/blue editing handles on screen. By selecting the handles with our mouse we can move the shoes into the position we want

it can take a while to get the hang of editing. Zooming and panning the viewer camera view to see the shoes (and other accessories) better, can make things go a bit easier. Perserve tho and soon you will be a whiz at it like everybody else

Classic avatars are part of the past, these days everyone buys body parts and wears them - you can buy a whole body (mesh bodies like for example Maitreya or SLink are just 2 brands) or just a certain body part - head, feets, hands. These body parts are not modifyable so for example if you and your friend bought mesh heads from the same brand you would look like twins. 

In order to fit the mesh body part we wear an alpha layer - something that hides the classic avatar's body, either the whole body (full body alpha) or just certain parts. Even some clothing parts come with their own alpha layers and you are supposed to wear that layer and the clothing.

I recommend you to take some time and search through the Marketplace, if an item is available in-world there will also be the link saying "See item in-world" at the bottom of every Marketplace listing. ALWAYS try demo before you spend money on an item because refunds are usually not given if an item comes in the demo version. 

If you want to stick with the classic avatar shape you will have to search for items made specifically for classic avatars. When you want to buy something, read the description and if something isn't clear try to Google it - one great thing about SL is that there are tons of tutorials and explanations about everything! 

Also feel free to ask here too :) 

I reccomend that you take a look at mesh feet. Off the top of my head I know Slink seems to be one of the most popular, and I see a lot of shoes that are made specifically for Slink feet. They can be a bit confusing to put on intially, but if you follow the instructions that come with the feet you should be able to wear them fairly easily. Always remember though that you will need to wear an alpha to cover the default feet. 

Once you have some sort of mesh feet then applying shoes is as simple as a click and wear. From my memory I believe there is a link to a youtube video regarding how to apply them. Remember though if you do mesh feet when you are shopping you will want to ensure that the product you buy is made specifically for the version of the feet that you have purchased. 

Like others have indicated there are shoes for sale that you can wear with the default avi feet. Take a look in the marketplace and see what you can find. Always ensure that you have the shoe base on that came with the shoes you buy. Some shoes will also include an alpha which will hide a portion of your feet to fit the shoes right. A good designer will most likely include these things with whatever shoes you buy.

Welcome and good luck!

Tamara Artis wrote:

Classic avatars are part of the past, these days everyone buys body parts and wears them

Sorry, but no. There are still plenty of us running around SL quite happily in our system avs.

There is so much diversity and so many choices and so much to learn those are who new might want to look around a bit and get the hang of things before investing in body parts.

Holly - If you haven't found them already, use inworld search to look for Free Dove. (Taxi here: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Gallii/138/110/33)  Designers put out free things for new players (and anyone else) to pick up and use; some of it is really good. There will probably be some nice shoes, along with different styles of clothing. It's a good way to try out different things and start exploring.

Good luck and welcome to Second Life.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2929 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.