Invoice for buying L$

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3085 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would have your friend call billing and ask them.  LL will issue invoices for tiers for an organization.  They may be willing to issue one for $L's if it is a large enough quantity.

Billing support phone numbers:
Toll-Free (US/Canada)
Long-Distance
The Billing team is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Local Toll-Free numbers

France: 0805.101.490
Germany: 0800.664.5510
Japan: 0066.33.132.830
Portugal: 800.814.450
Spain: 800.300.560
UK: 0800.048.4646
Support is in English Only

If you cannot use one of these phone numbers contact Live Chat if you are a premium member or file a support ticket

My understanding (being also based in Europe, and subject to VAT) is that what LL typically do is associate a VAT number with your account and then remove VAT from all charges. I don't think they produce VAT invoices, but I'm not certain.

You'd do best checking out this page: Secondlife.com - Value Added Tax

There's a link at the bottom (here) for existing users to add a VAT number to their account.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

My understanding (being also based in Europe, and subject to VAT) is that what LL typically do is associate a VAT number with your account and then remove VAT from all charges. I don't think they produce VAT
invoices
, but I'm not certain.

VAT is never really removed, they only don't pre-collect it for the government/tax office, you will always have to use the bought items/services for your own tax forms ( as company) The net value for sales and buying determens the amount you get or pay.

Goods from outside the EU have to be cleared by customs, mostly you also get a "invitation"  to pay for that, it also a form of VAT.

and i repeat.. for buying L$ there is no VAT.

Also when you rent from a non company in SL there's no VAT, it's considered inclusive,  only companies can split it in delivery and tax.

Sorry, I don't understand any of that. Tax isn't my area and I struggle with a lot of these terms.

It sounds like your claims are in opposition to the page I linked, which states:-

What are the items for which Linden Lab charges VAT?

Anything that you pay Linden Lab for will have VAT applied. This includes:

• Purchases from the Land Store
  • Land use fees (tier)
  • Private Region fees
  • Land auctions
  • LindeX™ transaction fees

Are you saying this page is incorrect? Or something else?

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Sorry, I don't understand any of that. Tax isn't my area and I struggle with a lot of these terms.

It sounds like your claims are in opposition to the page I linked, which states:-

What are the items for which Linden Lab charges VAT?

Anything that you pay Linden Lab for will have VAT applied
. This includes:
  • Purchases from the Land Store
  • Land use fees (tier)
  • Private Region fees
  • Land auctions
  • LindeX™ transaction fees

Are you saying this page is incorrect? Or something else?

no i say exactly the same... transaction fees are services, so taxable. But fees are not the exchange itself, so the xchange itself isn't , but only the 40 cts .. it will be hardly worth the efford to use that on your taxes. Not even thinking about the costs it makes to get that info ... pretty useless, the proof of buy by email confirmation and CC bill will be more than enough for tax inspection. I can't imagine it will be substantial for business expenses. If you would buy every day in a month it's 20 $, For a business just a expense, not a cost.

Next to that i really doubt you can even use it for your taxes, unless it's the selling part, buying inworld is 99% no business to business transaction but personal, so you can't put your investment against your spending for goods in SL. Only the land costs and income and transfer to RL will be interesting for the tax office. ( to be able to use the VAT rules, both buyer and seller, need to be acting on business level, and in SL thats pretty rare)

Thanks a lot for the explanation, I think I'm caught up. :)

Costs are probably low, but I feel is best for the user to decide how to proceed. I've seen some companies/accountants get incredibly picky over less than a dollar of VAT reclamation before.

Land costs.. that could be tier paid direct to LL, could be substantial and B2B. Probably worth the saving on a full region at $295+20%.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3085 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.