Touch for Dialog not working

Ruthven Ravenhurst

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have this script I'm working on, and trying to add security features, so that the owner/group members can set the security. Anyways, I can't figure out why it's not giving me a dialog when I click it. Here is the touch event (Don't want to post the whole script as it's something I plan to sell probably). Maybe I have the logic wrong somewhere? I've been looking at it and working on it for hours, and need a second+ set of eyes to look at it for me.

touch_start(integer num)
{
key toucher = llDetectedKey(0);
templist = main;
tempsectext = "";

if(security == "Public" && toucher != llGetOwner() && llDetectedGroup(0) == FALSE)
{
maindialog(toucher);
}

else if(security == "Owner" && toucher != llGetOwner()| security == "Group" && llDetectedGroup(0) == FALSE)
{
string grouptext = "";
if(security == "Group" && llDetectedGroup(0) == FALSE)
{
grouptext = "If you are a group member, you must have the group tag active for " + groupName + "\n\n";
}
llDialog(toucher, grouptext + "Click button to turn " + onoff +".",[onoff, "Exit"],chan);
}

else if(toucher == llGetOwner() | llDetectedGroup(0) == TRUE && security == "Group")
{
templist += sec;
tempsectext = sectext;
maindialog(toucher);
}
}

It could be a number of things, including not having opening a llListen on your dialog channel, but I suspect that the problem is in your complicated if statement:

else if(security == "Owner" && toucher != llGetOwner() security == "Group" && llDetectedGroup(0) == FALSE)

Notice that your OR is a bitwise OR, not a logical one.  You'll get the wrong anwser from that comparison.  Aside from that, which I really think is the problem, you leave open the possibility of ambiguity if you don't put parentheses around the comparisons that you want to consider first.  I think what you intended was something more like

else if( (security == "Owner" && toucher != llGetOwner()) || (security == "Group" && llDetectedGroup(0) == FALSE) )

• Like 1

Hmm, so I logged in with my alt to test it, and it seems I'm still having trouble with the logic, not sure why. Even on my main avatar, if I set it to group, and have a different group active than the object, it gives me the non-owner dialog, but the touch event is supposed to always allow the owner the main dialog, no matter the group.

touch_start(integer num)    {        llResetTime();        llListenRemove(listener);        key toucher = llDetectedKey(0);        chan = (integer)llFrand(-100000)-1000;        listener = llListen(chan,"",toucher,"");        active = TRUE;        templist = main;        tempsectext1 = "";                if((security == "Public") && (toucher != llGetOwner()) && (llDetectedGroup(0) == FALSE))        {                maindialog(toucher);        }                else if((security == "Owner" && toucher != llGetOwner())|( security == "Group" && llDetectedGroup(0) == FALSE))        {            string grouptext = "";            if(security == "Group" && llDetectedGroup(0) == FALSE)                {                    grouptext = "If you are a group member, you must have the group tag active";                }            llDialog(toucher, grouptext + "Click button to turn " + onoff +".",[onoff, "Exit"],chan);        }                else if((toucher == llGetOwner())| (llDetectedGroup(0) == TRUE && security == "Group"))        {            templist += sec;            tempsectext1 = sectext1 + security;            tempsectext1 +="\n";            maindialog(toucher);        }    }

oops, nevermind, didn't notice the (verticle bar?, what is that symbol called?) was double in your version, will try that and hope it works

touch_start(integer num)    {        llResetTime();        llListenRemove(listener);        key toucher = llDetectedKey(0);        chan = (integer)llFrand(-100000)-1000;        listener = llListen(chan,"",toucher,"");        active = TRUE;        templist = main;        tempsectext1 = "";                if((security == "Public") && (toucher != llGetOwner()) && (llDetectedGroup(0) == FALSE))        {                maindialog(toucher);        }                else if((security == "Owner" && toucher != llGetOwner())( security == "Group" && llDetectedGroup(0) == FALSE))        {            string grouptext = "";            if(security == "Group" && llDetectedGroup(0) == FALSE)                {                    grouptext = "If you are a group member, you must have the group tag active";                }            llDialog(toucher, grouptext + "Click button to turn " + onoff +".",[onoff, "Exit"],chan);        }                else if((toucher == llGetOwner()) (llDetectedGroup(0) == TRUE && security == "Group"))        {            templist += sec;            tempsectext1 = sectext1 + security;            tempsectext1 +="\n";            maindialog(toucher);        }    }

Nope, still not quite right, which is odd. I have it start out in "Public" mode, if I switch it from that to something else, it works correctly with my alt, but if I switch it back to "Public", no dialog comes up for my alt, not even the limited menu that's supposed to come up for non-group/owner. The reason I want it to check for owner/group member in public mode is because there are additional buttons that I don't want shown in the public dialog

Ruthven Willenov wrote:

oops, nevermind, didn't notice the (verticle bar?, what is that symbol called?) was double in your version, will try that and hope it works
touch_start(integer num)    {        llResetTime();        llListenRemove(listener);        key toucher = llDetectedKey(0);        chan = (integer)llFrand(-100000)-1000;        listener = llListen(chan,"",toucher,"");        active = TRUE;        templist = main;        tempsectext1 = "";                if((security == "Public") && (toucher != llGetOwner()) && (llDetectedGroup(0) == FALSE))        {                maindialog(toucher);        }                else if((security == "Owner" && toucher != llGetOwner())( security == "Group" && llDetectedGroup(0) == FALSE))        {            string grouptext = "";            if(security == "Group" && llDetectedGroup(0) == FALSE)                {                    grouptext = "If you are a group member, you must have the group tag active";                }            llDialog(toucher, grouptext + "Click button to turn " + onoff +".",[onoff, "Exit"],chan);        }                else if((toucher == llGetOwner()) (llDetectedGroup(0) == TRUE && security == "Group"))        {            templist += sec;            tempsectext1 = sectext1 + security;            tempsectext1 +="\n";            maindialog(toucher);        }    }

The vertical bar has too many names to mention here. In LSL and many other programming languages, a single vertical bar performs the "bitwise or" of the operands on either side of it. That's a logical operation on the individual bits inside the operands and is not what you want in your code. A double vertical bar performs the "logical or" of the truth (nonzero-ness) of the two operands on either side of it. So if you want something to happen if either of two things is true, you'd write...

a || b

... which will be true (non-zero) if either a or b is true (non-zero) and false (zero) if both of them are false (zero). In most languages, the result of such true/false operations are zero (false) and one (true). It's probably better to think of zero as being the same as false and anything else as being the same as true. Zero is a lot more special than one!

If you don't find that explanation sufficiently confusing, let me know!

That "double bar" was the main point of my response before.  When you use one "bar" -- really a "pipe" -- it's a bitwise OR, which is not wht you want to do.  You want a logical OR, which is || . As far as the rest of it is concerned, I was only guessing at what you wanted to do.

Think of your restrictions from the top down.  The owner gets the group menu and so does any group member who's wearing a tag, if security == group. Anyone else gets a public menu.  So: 

if (llGetOwner() == toucher)

{

// group menu

}

else if (security == "Group")

{

if ( !llSameGroup(llDetectedKey(0)) )

{

llSay(0, "Wear your group tag!");    // Public menu 

}

else

{

//Group menu

}

}

else

{

// Public menu

}

No, I understood it very well. Just trying to get my brain back into scripting again, as it's been a while. I did modify the touch event some more, as I was still having trouble getting it to give a dialog in some security instances. I guess I had it a little jumbled with the different tests, so I re-wrote it testing for each security setting, then against the llDetectedKey or llDetectedGroup

touch_start(integer num)    {        llResetTime();//because part of the script triggers a timer, and within that timer I will remove the listen if more than 20 seconds has passed without activity        llListenRemove(listener);        key toucher = llDetectedKey(0);        chan = (integer)llFrand(-100000)-1000;        listener = llListen(chan,"",toucher,"");        active = TRUE;        templist = main;//resets main menu list and text in case toucher is not an admin        tempsectext1 = "";                if(security == "Public")        {            if(toucher == llGetOwner() || llDetectedGroup(0))            {                templist += sec;//adds admin only buttons and text                tempsectext1 = sectext1 + security +"\n";                maindialog(toucher);            }            else{maindialog(toucher);}        }        else if (security == "Owner")        {             if(toucher == llGetOwner())            {                templist += sec;               tempsectext1 = sectext1 + security +"\n";                maindialog(toucher);            }            else            {                llDialog(toucher, "Click button to turn " + onoff +".",[onoff, "Exit"],chan);            }        }        else if(security == "Group")        {            if((toucher == llGetOwner())|| llDetectedGroup(0))            {                templist += sec;                tempsectext1 = sectext1 + security +"\n";                maindialog(toucher);            }            else            {                llDialog(toucher, grouptext + "Click button to turn " + onoff +".",[onoff, "Exit"],chan);            }        }        }

Without closely examining the logic, that looks better, or at least easier to follow.

What happens if "security" isn't any of the values you're testing against? You don't show that part of the script, but it's important to either handle every possible value of something, or ensure something can only have certain values. I usually try to do both in my code. So I'd have written...

if(security == "Public"){ do public stuff}

else if (security == "Owner"){do owner stuff}

else if (security == "Group"){do group stuff}

else { set security to Owner (or whatever is appropriate) and perhaps throw an error message }

I have it starting out as "Public". It is changed via dialog menu. It will only be able to be, Public, Owner, or Group. Only group or owner are allowed to change it, though I do need to figure out some more logic to make it so that group members can change settings, but not security part, guess I could leave the security part for only the owner?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.