Hi I need help to restore my avatar. I an a big ball of light. Can you help?

Sharon Adkins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

Alwin has referred you to the instructions for a third party viewer, Firestorm Viewer. It isn't exactly the same as the default Second Life Viewer, but close enough. One significant differene is RLV - Restrained Life Viewer, which doesn't just refer to a viewer but more specifically to the code that allows a viewer to be programmed and controlled by scripts/programs from within SL.

The closest the SL Viewer has to RLV is the Experienes feature (top menu: Me->Experiences) . Just as RLV may hang things up, so too could Experiences, theoretically. To test  if that is the problem, teleport to a Linden owned sandbox. AFAIK there are no Linden sandboxes that have experiences active. List: Sandbox: Weapons Testing, Sandbox Admiranda, and others that show the owner as Govenor Linden. The regions listed on the Firestorm page are: Hippo Hollow which is only partially Linden owned, but AFAIK no experiences are active any where in the region. Cyclops is Linden owned.

Inventory loading problems are the most common cause of bake fail, your avatar not rendering and remaining a particle cloud. The most common cause of inventory problems is connection problems. Having a good Internet connection does NOT mean you have a good connection to the SL servers. See: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

DO NOT clear your viewer's cache. That will likely make things worse. It is posssible for bake fail to be from an inventory problem and require the cache to be cleared. But, that is a very rare occurance and thus a LAST RESORT. This is true no matter what you are told.

Since bake fail is most likely connection related, it can change and self correct at any time. A problem may exist for minutes to hours to days and disappear as the network technians chase down problems and replace or repair hadware. Don't assume some step fixed the problem just because a remote repair occurred somewhere along your network path just as you did something...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.