Joiner for 2 groups

Mandy Carbenell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3048 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

I am on a full sim with another group owned by a very close friend. Now we share a generic landing point but we want to give visitors the choice of joining hers or my group (or both). I own a ton of greeters from SoL to SHX but somehow there seems to be no multiple groups joiner. All I need is a welcome message and a drop down menu giving people the choice to join either group A or group B or both and click on a button for a LM.

Is there such a script? If so I can make a greeter but so far all my searches are in vain.

There is a hack, but it's not a very satisfactory one.  Basically, it involves linking two prims that were set to different groups.  If you click on either prim, the script uses its own group to decide which membership to offer you.  The system will not survive being copied, though. It's easier to just create a small 4m x 4m parcel right at the landing point and set out two greeters at the boundary between them.

Or, as Marioni suggests, just hardwire the groups' UUIDs into two scripts.  ;)

There's a script in one of the libraries from Betlog Hax that I've modified slightly to support a list of group UUIDs.  No drop down menu although it could be added.  It works off of touch but the code could be dropped into a greeter welcome message.  One script that IMs it's target.

//// Modified 22 Mar 2016 by Qwalyphi to support a list of group UUIDs (must be open enrollment)// BETLOG Hax//// AEST: 20080613 0704 [sLT:  20080612 1404]// For  Harleywood Guru request in SecondLife Hobos group chat//// Thanks to Punkaroo Snoring, and Pavig Lok for inadvertently pointing out something// i read in a RC release notes and totally didnt pay attention to. But which is really useful.//==========================================================// ---LICENCE START---// http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/// ie: Attribution licence://   Give me credit by leaving it in the script I created.//   Supply my original script with your modified version.//   Refer to the wiki URL from which you copied this script.//      https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Group_invitation// ---LICENCE END---//==========================================================// SHARED CONFIGURATION//----------------------------------// CONFIGURATION//----------------------------------// CORE CODE//==========================================================default{   state_entry()    {        llSetText("group join offer EXAMPLE - touch to get the IM", <1.0, 1.0, 1.0>,1.0);    }    touch_start(integer total_number)    {           list GroupList = ["19657888-576f-83e9-2580-7c3da7c0e4ca","5b435599-bb15-086a-f5ea-d03504737ee1"];        //                  Second Life Beta                        Advanced Creator Tools Notification        llSetColor(<1.0, 0.0, 0.0>, ALL_SIDES);         //IM adds a delay.. indicate this visually        string msg = "\nJoin a group! Please click a group link in your history window (ctrl-H)";        integer lengthOfList = llGetListLength(GroupList);        integer index;        do        {            msg += "\n secondlife:///app/group/"+llList2String(GroupList,index)+"/about";        } while (++index < lengthOfList);        llInstantMessage(llDetectedKey(0),msg);        llSetColor(<0.0, 1.0, 0.0>, ALL_SIDES);        //IM adds a delay.. indicate this visually    }}//=========================================================

Maybe a preference for having the inviter script set to the group to which it's inviting is to avoid inviting somebody to the very same group they currently have active, for which llSameGroup() is handy. There's another option now, however, using llGetAttachedList() of visitors and then getting OBJECT_GROUP on those attachments. Still, that only reveals their current active group (with rare exceptions), like llSameGroup(), so I'm not sure it's preferable to checking against a cache of recent invitees.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Maybe a preference for having the inviter script set to the group to which it's inviting is to avoid inviting somebody to the very same group they currently have active, for which llSameGroup() is handy. There's another option now, however, using llGetAttachedList() of visitors and then getting OBJECT_GROUP on those attachments. Still, that only reveals their current active group (with rare exceptions), like llSameGroup(), so I'm not sure it's preferable to checking against a cache of recent invitees.

Sure.  My goal was to show an easy way for one script to allow a selection of more than one group to join.  The OP wanted a greeting message with a drop down menu offering a choice of two groups to join.  Simple to IM (or llRegionSayTo) a greeting including the ability to click on two groups if you want to join them.  Having the greeter script decide what groups to offer or when to offer groups at all... that's not so simple.   

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3048 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.