linking phantom prim to non phantom prim

xXxIcexXx Restless

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2938 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

is there a way to link phantom and non phantom without all prim becoming phantom or non phantom? for example. I made arches using a hollow option well I cannot walk through it, at that time I made it phantom. when I link the house it made all the non phantom prim phantom and made phantom prim non phantom.

2 answers to this question

That's what phantom prims do.  If one prim in a linkset is phantom, they all are.

You can fool a prim into behaving as if it is phantom, however, without actually making it phantom, as long as it is not the ROOT prim of a link set (that is, this trick only works on CHILD prims). Select the prim with your editor and go to the Features tab. Set it to Physics Shape Type NONE. That will tell the Physics engine to ignore it -- essentially the same thing it does with phantom prims.

• Like 4

It sounds as if you used Edit/Features/Physics Type = Convex Hull on your hollowed out archway prim.

Convex hull is a cool thing and it can really reduce the land impact of your objects, but you have to use it with care.  What it does is simplify the collision envelope of the prim, ignoring any holes in it and treating it as if it were a solid prim for the purposes of calculating collisions.

The result is that if you make your archway prim Convex Hull, you can no longer walk through the arch!  Set the physics type back to "prim" and stop worrying about all this phantom/non-phantom stuff.

EDIT:  /me stamps her foot and shouts, "Pay attention, doggone it!  Solution here!"

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2938 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.