why do i get one prim count in About Land/Objects and another in Edit/More Info?

Shanndarra Fenwitch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm an Estate & Rental Manager and some of our renters are getting notices that they are over allowed prim. However, when counted, they are getting a vastly different number that what both our rental management system (RMS) and About Land/Object is reporting. So I tried to test a theory by going to one I know only has prim in one location on our sim. Both the About Land/Objects & our RMS say this 2nd person has 30 prim out. Yet, when I counted 40 by right-clicking each object, Edit and More Info and added the prim count of each prim in the 2nd renter's area.  What could account for the descrepancy?

Yes, I did try to read some of the articles on how prim is calculated, but it's as clear as mud to me. I'm not a builder in the sense of creating something from raw prim, only in the decorating sense. Below is the info from About Second Life:

Second Life 4.0.1 (310054) Jan 14 2016 18:17:17 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

You are at 205.6, 78.0, 28.8 in Sacred Cauldron located at sim10480.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.51.186:13023)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sacred%20Cauldron/206/78/29
(global coordinates 265,422.0, 293,710.0, 28.8)
Second Life RC Magnum 16.02.17.311134

I'm on a Win 7 laptop

3 answers to this question

Bobbie's right.  When you Edit an object, or select Object Profile (Inspect, in the Firestorm viewer) you will get a PRIM COUNT.

When it comes to land, though, "land impact" is no longer exactly the same as the number of prims in the object.  Land impact depends on several factors, including physics type, prim type, mesh complexity and size, etc.  About Land is showing you the land impact of the objects on the parcel.  This is the number you and your renters should use to determine if they have too much Stuff out.

If your rental system counter shows something different from About Land, you should use the About Land number as the "official" count.

• Like 2

I'm just trying to figure out how sl calculates prim so that I can give our renters a proper answer. Why are we getting such disparaging numbers? How is it that, for one renter, sl says 30 prims, and when i hand count, I get 40 when looking at each object separately. I figure that mesh is "gumming up the works" here, as it were, in this area and making it more...complicated than b4 mesh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.