Apparently I am wearing too many scripts? How do I fix this issue? I am a new user.

DazedDoll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3012 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

The easy answer is that you remove some of them. The harder answer is that it doesn't make much difference.  Many people in SL still believe that scripts cause lag in a region, so they try as hard as they can to cut down on the number of scripts around them, particularly those that are in other people's clothing or hair.  That is only somewhat true.

The servers that handle all of the activity in a region have to prioritize their time.  They allot time to knowing where people and objects are, to communication, to presenting textures, ...  and finally to running scripts. Scripts get the lowest priority. If the servers are too busy doing other things, scripts stall.  Not the other way around.  Scripts don't make a region lag.  All the other things make scripts lag.

I think it's hard to convince people of that for two reasons.  First of all, scripts do compete with each other for available server time. If there are too many of them and the servers are already busy, scripts will start to fail. So it is true, in a way, that scripts cause lag --- for each other.  Second, though, the scripts that people focus on when they start complaining are the scripts on people. But it's avatars that cause the greatest amount of lag in almost any region, irrespective of how many scripts they are wearing.  Reduce the number of avatars in a crowded mall or concert venue and the lag eases up dramatically

So, back to the simple answer. If you think you are wearing too many scripts, or if people you care about are telling you that, start taking off things that have scripts in them. As a guide, open your World menu and then About Land >>> General.  Click the Script Info button and then the tab that says My Avatar.  You'll get a list of all the objects on you that have scripts, and you'll see how much memory they use potentially.  You can go nuts trying to decide which ones you can do without.  Or you can ignore the whole thing and wear what you like.

BTW, there are other things to worry about much more than scripts.  Read this article, for example >>> https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Avatar-Rendering-Complexity/ta-p/2967838

• Like 2

As Rolig said, scripts aren't nearly as significant to lag as many people believe. But unfortunately you can still get banned from places for wearing too many scripts because the landowners believe in that myth.

Unnecessary scripts aren't doing anybody any good anyway, so regardless of lag, it's always a good idea to try to get rid of them.

The things to look for are HUDs and wearable items with retexture and/or resize options. Particularly old style hair with old fashioned resizers. (Old resizers required one script for each and every prim and a hair can have lots of them. Modern resizers only use a single script for the whole thing). Mesh bodies don't add much to the script count (I checked a popular brand at it had 7 scripts, not including the HUD) but may be enough to take you beyond the limit.

If you wear an OpenCollar or such. Well, I suppose that doesn't count as unnecessary scripts - if you waer one it's presumably because you want one. They do contain a lot of scripts though and it's quite common for people to be falsely accused of lagging down a place because of them.

If you want to see how much lag your avatar actually generates. you can find that in the Advanced menu of your viewer. (If you don't have the Advanced menu, type ctrl-alt-D to activate it). Look for "Performance Tools" in the menu and select "Show Render Weights for Avatars" in the submenu. The number you get there is a far better lag indicator than your script count although it seems to udnerestimate the extra load fitted mesh adds. Generally speaking anything under 50,000 is perfectly ok unless you wear a lot of fitted mesh. 50,000-100,000 shouldn't cause anybody any serious problems, 100,000-150,000 may be a bit of a problem, depending on the situation.

As for those outdated avatar script counters some people still keep on their land to kick out perfectly innocent avatars, I really wish I could tell you there is a modern render weight based alternative to them now. But since it was built by one of my best friends and scripted by one of my alts, I can't. And I definitely can't mention that it's only available at Cosmopolitan at the moment and will ebavailable on MP (two different versions at two different stores) and in-world once that event is over.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3012 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.